United Airlines bars girls in leggings from boarding flight: they're "not properly clothed"

[quote=“japhroaig, post:29, topic:97729”]
this carp is absurd.
[/quote]I thought this was a typo until I found the calendar:

13 Likes

The mechanics of that boggle my mind. I mean, that takes more engineering talent than went into the plane.

The airline should use it as a prerequisite for hiring.

3 Likes

My guess is that “one person per restroom” is more of a custom than a formal rule in most contexts. I have done quite a bit of baby changing and toddler helping in restrooms. Grown people seldom do share the room, but I have never seen rules posted about it.

But if there are rules about it anywhere, I would expect it to be on a plane. Mostly because of rescue logistics.

1 Like

I think maybe Delta has the same rules. My sister’s best friend’s father was a pilot, and amazingly that translated to free First Class tickets to Paris for my sister, provided that she wore business casual attire. It was a low bar to meet.

2 Likes

Let’s make the analogy more accurate: your boss gives you two tickets to the latest Star Wars movie, and says “have a great time.” You and your date show up dressed like every other theater attendee there.

Does your attire reflect poorly on your company?

19 Likes

it’s a well studied problem…

Investigation of the Asiana Airlines accident in San Francisco last summer revealed that one of the co-pilots was afraid to warn his captain about the low-speed landing. He kept silent. The plane crashed short of the runway. Three people were killed and 181 others were injured. Asian’s Chief Executive Kim Soo-cheon later said that Koreans tend “toward a patriarchal culture and many pilots work and fly within the strict military order.”

though conflating it with cargo cultism doesn’t actually solve the problem, and is therefore a waste of time.

2 Likes

People still actually fly on United Airlines in 2017? Get some self-respect! :wink:

4 Likes

I have a quarter million miles on united :grinning:

3 Likes

That analogy isn’t quite the same. If my boss owned the movie theater and had explicit policies on what I could or couldn’t wear in his theater and my date and I violated them, then yes, it would reflect poorly.

If my employment policy specifically said “no bikinis” and the whole rest of the theater showed up wearing bikinis - it doesn’t mean I can wear one.

3 Likes

Other’s have responded, and this is relevant too:

Google some variant of [when the right stuff becomes the wrong stuff] for tons more examples.

Basically, military pilots are taught to back themselves in order to deal with problems on their own and press on with the mission. This is exactly the wrong approach for civil air transport pilots who desperately require good resource management in the cockpit - including making other crew members active participants in solving problems - and a low risk approach to emerging issues.

However, for many years through the 50s, 60s, and 70s (and into the 80s?) the military was by FAR the best source of high-hour, well trained heavy transport (a.k.a. bomber) pilots. And after their careers in the military many of them went on to carers in civil aviation, taking their military culture with them where it flourished in the presence of many others with a similar background.

To this day military aircraft have a rate of accidents and incidents that is several orders of magnitude higher than civil air transport. I am NOT saying this is due to the pilots all being hot-dogging arseholes (although there is undoubtedly some of that). Military flying is more dangerous, and more accepting of risk. However, being raised in that culture is going to affect a pilots view of the world and approach to cockpit management.

3 Likes

I suspect that United Airlines fields complaints about the attire of other passengers all the time. Sometimes they have merit. Most of the time, they’re just grumpy bluenoses who need to live in the 21st century. The dress codes may be a way of ensuring that no complaints are likely to arise from the airline’s generosity-- in a sense, a heckler’s veto.

7 Likes

Yes - perhaps they need to take a leaf from New York parking. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays burkas required. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday total nudity for security reasons. Sundays dress according to your religion of choice.

2 Likes

sweet jesus guys, it’s a dress code, deal with it. Not every little thing is an infringement on your precious little self expression, my lord.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize the world was one big grammar school, where some big authority told the rest of us how to dress and what to do.

20 Likes

But the cargo-cultism is exactly what we are talking about here – is the military culture that you and others are blaming for problems in civilian air travel caused (at least in part) by their use of military-style uniforms for no good reason?

1 Like

No, but your straw man arguments are not doing you any great favours.

And Guidobaldo, that had made/that grammar school of courtesies/where wit and beauty learned its trade/upon Urbino’s windy hill/had sent no runners to and fro/that he might learn the shepherds’ United’s will. (with apologies to W B Yeats).

3 Likes

I am the best dressed person on the BBS. This dress code is madness on so many levels.

Argument from authority fallacy I concede. That doesn’t make my argument incorrect.

14 Likes

I don’t see Greyhound enforcing dress codes so what make airlines so damn special? A bus in the sky makes them head mistresses of the skies? I don’t think so.

5 Likes

And? What’s the fuss here? The dress code for anyone flying for free as a perk of employment of a family member is pretty strict. I can’t show up in a tank top or sandals. I suggest anyone who disagrees with this policy run their own airline as they like.

I’ve flow free on these passes. It was a privilege. I had the right to walk for the same price.

4 Likes

They do if you’re riding for free because your parent or whoever has that as a perk.