United Airlines bars girls in leggings from boarding flight: they're "not properly clothed"

well that was sweet of you to say.

3 Likes

Unless you are notifying fellow passengers that you are card carrying United member flying for free, “Hey everybody you paid $1000.00 for this flight. Guess what? I didn’t!”, and wearing a United uniform it should’nt make one iota of difference what you choose to wear. Or your children.

7 Likes

Uniforms are a safety feature, so you know who is in charge in case of an emergency. Crew needs to be distinguishable from other passengers. Friends and family and off-duty crew, not so much.

9 Likes

Next time I fly Akimbo_NOT Airlines, I will keep that in mind.

The next time I fly for free on standby, I will wear business casual, because I am over myself.

3 Likes

Akimbo_Not Air, fly the friendly wear-want-you-want skies. Direct flights to Comic-Con available.

15 Likes

‘Love’ tends to find a way.

A friend of ours helped work his way through college by manning the night desk at a well-known NYC hotel. Per that friend, airline crew members – male pilot, male co-pilot, and three female flight attendants – while checking in one night, discussed – in front of him – who would sleep with who. One of the perks, I guess.

7 Likes

It’s always eye opening to see the law-and-order types rush in to defend Authority. I’m not even saying the airline is wrong. (Misguided, silly, and sexist sure, but they have the right to set and enforce their own policies.) It’s the people whose motto is Rules Are Rules, So Shut Up that I don’t understand.

Edit: Also, leggings are such a commonplace I can’t believe anyone would give them a second thought. “Are those girls wearing… leggings?! On an aeroplane?!”

22 Likes

Wait a second. I almost always agree with your judgement, but are you arguing that because you are related to someone, you are held to a different arbitrary standard that is antiquated and sexist rule system than other people in the same cabin?

Even though it was a gift, and few could possibly even know it was?

I am just gonna be stubborn. No.

13 Likes

But are leggings pants?!

For carp’s sake! Why are we not discussing the bigger issue here?!

10 Likes

I’ve flown a lot (as much as I hate flying), and I can say that I’ve never seen any rules posted re restroom capacity limit. Now. this is only a guess, but I suspect that airlines realize that policing the restrooms for sex is just not worth the trouble.

3 Likes

Me, too. They treat paying passengers like crap (more so even than other airlines). I was pretty bummed when they merged with Continental. Just that many fewer options for me.

Once, I had to get manager approval for taking a more expensive flight (Delta). I explained “United :unamused:” and my manager responded “Enough said!”

8 Likes

That’s going to be one heck of a vacation. Back in my flying days, mainly consisting of a mind-numbing amount of flights from San Jose to Melbourne, FL, I learned it was better to be stranded in Atlanta than Chicago. Not much, but enough. Thus, the “glory” that is/was Delta. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to go further out on a sexism limb and express confusion over one particular behavior that has always confused me about women in leggings.

I’ve seen countless women wearing a combination of leggings/yoga pants + big bulky sweater or top out in public. A common “dance” I witness is to be constantly tugging the sweater/top as far down over their butt as frequently as possible in an apparent effort to keep it covered and out of view. Why wear leggings if you’re that self-conscience about your butt?

I guess I just don’t understand fashion.

If they ain’t done their sock laundry…

1 Like

Comfort?

10 Likes

It can get cold down there :grinning:
Luckily one of my nick names is Sir Mixalot, cause I have some cushion.

2 Likes

We are talking about 10 year olds.

6 Likes

I’ve called them ‘not-pants’ for as long as I can remember.

I wasn’t referring to this story

Of course my bitching about United has led to my Southwest flight being delayed. Hey at least I found out now 3.5 hours before the flight was supposed to to depart. I’m still in my yoga pants at home.

4 Likes