United Airlines is sorry they forced a disabled man to crawl off flight to go to the bathroom

There’s always risk to interacting with humans. I mean we genocide each other pretty regularly after all. So typically, if I see anyone apparently struggling, the most prudent course of action is to ask “do you need any help?” Then listen to what they say. Sure there’s a possibility that they might take that as permission to stab you with a needle full of bleach. But more often than not they’ll just tell you yes or no, and if yes they’ll typically say how they’d like to be helped.

1 Like

His response to their apology was classier than I have ever been in my entire life.

6 Likes

I think the laughter might have been not directed at the fellow who crawled, but rather at the fact that, on the very trip where he endured this awful indignity, he had been an invited speaker on the subject of accessible transportation. I dunno, some people laugh at irony.

13 Likes

They probably had too many guitars to break that day.

3 Likes

One of my friends got his foot badly stung by a scorpionfish on a trip to Greece, it swelled up and he couldn’t walk on it. As it was the last day of the trip, there wasn’t time to reserve a wheelchair for him for when we got back to the UK. We put him on a luggage trolley, and a worker at Heathrow saw this and lent us an office chair.

2 Likes

Yep, definitely this. Plus I think someone in need of help is more likely to get it if there’s only one person around than if the place is full of people.

That’s what got me. He was shocked they apologized! How screwed up is the business world to do something like this and not bother to at least apologize afterwards?

1 Like

This is what pisses me off. The corporation creates the underfunding (staff, equipment) and the employees somehow make it work. Yes, good on the heathrow employee but why weren’t there any chairs available???

1 Like

3 Points:

1. I find NOTHING abut this story to be funny - either ironic or other.
  2. The flight attendants have black holes where their hearts should be. To stand back and watch - I will never understand how you can do that.
    3 United comped him $300. That’s what they feel is appropriate! How about at least $1000!

I think he was laughing AT the irony, not at the person’s situation.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.