United employees will start bumping paid passengers before they take a seat

Fine. As long as they’re not wearing leggings. If they’re not wearing leggings they have absolute power. But if they’re wearing leggings then they are just so much human garbage. United has made its position clear on this.

2 Likes

they sure are confident, it’s actually very hard to bump somebody off without automatic weapons.

1 Like

The following is my understanding, im not in the field.

The plane was never overbooked. Instead, the United transferring crew showed up at the gate after the sold out flight was already seated.

Transferring employees trying to get on a sold out flight is not considered an overbooking. In this situation, passengers can choose to give up a seat, but they are not required to.
Passengers can be removed from a plane for safety reasons and such, but overbooking must be resolved before the plane is boarded.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s my understanding, too. If they want to offer thousands to people before the plane is boarded, more power to them.

3 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t offer passengers the option to upgrade to not being punched in the face.

Well, shit. Isn’t this how supposed liberterian principles are supposed to work anyway? Too bad for the guy these scumbags assaulted and defamed. Oh well, contract law to the rescue, right? EULA, waiver, then bury your victim in paid “both side” media coverage and lawyers. Quietly change some policies later and ignore the dictum of "don’t create a totalitarian corporate fauxstaat that resembles everything the shiny contemporary world supposedly left behind, behind a collapsing Iron Curtain.

Libertarians who are rich are just a few victims away from being a liability. Perhaps that should factor into hiring. And sanctions.

1 Like

It’s like Deal Or No Deal: Travel Edition.

But will they stop breaking guitars?

Still won’t fly their unfriendly skies voluntarily.

I’m a bit confused…that is what the Federal regulation covers, denial of boarding for oversold flights. So yes, United will use denial of boarding in appropriate cases (and I’m sure some inappropriate ones - they would’ve claimed the flight oversold and denied boarding rather than having someone beaten I’m sure). Raising the amount they can offer passengers is a good thing, although 10K sounds pretty high and will probably be used…never.

1 Like

Right. Legally speaking this wouldn’t have applied in the most recent case but you can bet that United would’ve claimed that it did and simply denied people boarding.

It’s the first one. Just because it’s the behavior you expect from a corporation doesn’t make it tolerable. I’d also expect an axe-murderer to axe-murder me, because that’s what they do. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Corporations aren’t like axe-murderers, fortunately. They serve a useful purpose, and are vital to many things. This particular one, however, did something awful. A pinky swear to never do it again doesn’t make that right. This isn’t a meaningful promise, nor a proper acknowledgement of wrongdoing. Why should we treat them any differently from someone else who beat a man bloody, just because we kind of expect it from them?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.