Universal health coverage not radical

Aubrey-Plaza-what

12 Likes

I know I commented on this post already, but I’ve been fuming about this and I have one more thing to say. Other countries don’t budget the same way the US does. Ontario’s healthcare is not one “budget allocation” away from bankruptcy because we don’t have “budget allocations” in the same sense as America does. It is not possible for Ontario’s healthcare to run out of money - it is in theory possible for Ontario to run out of money, which would obviously impact healthcare as well as everything else. But the idea that Ontario’s healthcare could go bankrupt is just a ridiculous piece of ignorance. We would stop refreshing the computers of communications staff before we’d start officially instructing doctors to reuse needles.

And I’m not certain but I bet the same is true at least in the UK, New Zealand and Australia. And in the case of the UK where the health system is administered federally, not by provinces, it’s probably actually impossible for it to run out of money (not that hyperinflation is a good thing, but hyperinflation - not bankruptcy - is the usual consequence of a sovereign currency issuer running out of money).

22 Likes

Canadians will just be extremely happy that American health companies will stop trying to subvert our healthcare by buying meathead politicians like Doug Ford and Jason Kenney.

7 Likes

The BBC (correctly) points out that Boris Johnson is to the left of Sanders on healthcare.

6 Likes

That may be correct in regard to their stated positions. Somehow I think the reality is that Sanders is a lot more in favour of public healthcare than Johnson is. Johnson just knows going after healthcare head on is political poison.

16 Likes

(His PR people make much that it’s a private hospital, but as I recall, that excuse was chewed up pretty good in the thread about it at the time.)

20 Likes

Well this is my point. A nearly trillion dollar industry can buy a lot of lobbying power and buy off a lot of politicians. I’m not worried about the workers loosing their jobs, that can be dealt with in a multitude of ways. I just don’t see it possible to change the current system over to something like Canada has in a year or even 4 years for a presidential term is a maybe.

1 Like

Just think what that would cost in lawsuit settlements!

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood. Still, I see that as a strong argument for killing the lobbying industry, not for failing to pursue M4A.

8 Likes

See also Germany, Sweden, the Netherlands, Japan…

6 Likes

And he’s got the best private insurance in the U.S., being a Senator.

12 Likes

If they got average care, that they couldn’t buy out of, then you’d see some changes toot-sweet!

11 Likes

The NHS was established just over 18 months from the 6th November 1946 to 5th July 1948. If Britain can do it with almost no money after fighting WW2 then the USA can do it in the next 4 years.

20 Likes
15 Likes

Since both Mexico and Canada have universal health care, we’re surrounded by it.

Yes, Mexico, a much poorer country, has a public health system that covers everyone, no matter what their income is.

7 Likes

You can’t just dismantle the whole fourth branch* of government!

*Thanks to my college professor 30 years ago for that one

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.