Universal Orlando's Epic Universe officially announced

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/31/universal-orlandos-epic-universe-officially-announced.html

8e9y9p

5 Likes

The irony is that it seems like they’ve given up trying to make it happen…

3 Likes

I know! I was surprised that this is the route they are taking to haul it out of the grave. It’s bold!

2 Likes

If there’s one thing Universal knows how to do it’s “haul Frankenstein’s monster back out of the grave.”

2 Likes

I was going to say that they should have just stopped with Young Frankenstein, but then I saw this:

Sting, Clancy Brown, and it was nominated for a Razzie? I know what I’m doing this weekend.

1 Like

Resurrecting Frankenstein is like…their whole thing.

1 Like

My favorite 1980s Frankenstein reboot was RoboCop.

1 Like

Good for Universal, but I don’t think this will lead to a local arms race among theme parks there, at least not anytime soon. I have it on good authority that, thanks to certain actions taken by Florida’s state government, the Mouse has redirected resources that were originally intended for expansion of the Florida parks to other properties instead. (And I think they may have stated as much publicly?)

1 Like

Certainly, but even as it exists today, you need a week to really enjoy most of the Disney properties. Universal is 2 days, 3 days if you get bad lines. They’re adding more variety and options to pull in others and that’s good.

Still, the arms race appears to be on price. Disney is obscenely expensive now and Universal is almost a discount option by comparison, although it’s far from cheap.

1 Like

They seem very comparable on price to me. According to the Universal Studios Florida website single park, single day tickets range from $119-$169 depending on the day. Single park single day tickets at Disney World range from $109-$159 per day depending on the day. So they’re both quite expensive now. Maybe Universal has cheaper hotels or vacation packages though? I didn’t check that.

1 Like

The “Celestial” themed hub is the blandest built-by-committee idea. I can practically see the white board full of brainstormed concepts where the tone keeps getting vaguer as they take into consideration the input from the Legal and PR departments.

1 Like

Base price are pretty similar but I’ve never gone to Universal without managing to find a local discount or two to drop their prices way down. They also have a lot of buy 2 get 1 free day offers. Disney doesn’t truly offer that until you get to Day 8 or so.

You’ve updated me on current price though, so I retract my point - I hadn’t been to either in a 2 years or so - it’s a shame they both have gone up so much!

1 Like

“Enjoy spooooky interactions with our dead franchises!”

2 Likes

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/mr-toads-wild-ride/

1 Like

…so will there be a 14 werewolf ride?

1 Like

3 Likes

No, but Ron De Santis will make personal appearances in exchange for contributions.

2 Likes

I think some people would need to go with Fox Searchlight Pictures rather than Universal to have that wish fulfilled.

download

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.