"Unmanned factory" replaces 600 humans with robots

Python.
import turtlesallthewaydown
…and you’re pretty much done.

4 Likes

Don’t forget to sample everything in the medicine cabinet, too!

3 Likes

Jobs are not a means to my ends. I would prefer to be unemployed and homeless than exploited by somebody else. Most people seem to increasingly be in huge debt these days. So an unemployed person with no money arguably has much more wealth than somebody who owes a few hundred thousand moneys. The debt stream is perpetuated by selling people on the idea that homes and university education are worth something in themselves. A great education is no assurance of employment. And a home is no assurance of stability.

I don’t disagree. But I think that the first problem is the best and most challenging - using AI to augment people so that people can handle greater complexity.

But instead of applying algorithms to making money, I think the more elegant solution is using algorithms for managing resources - then you don’t need jobs, money, or commerce in the first place.

3 Likes

It looks well on the way to automating barcode reading, stock out and category management and creating lots of jobs for shelf stackers in the process.

Good on you for the subversion and keeping us poor humans in the loop! :laughing:

1 Like

If it weren’t for NDA and security, I could put you in telepresence touch with the Cheerio boxes right now.

2 Likes

I want to warn that my views on this matter are biased from my reading of Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, Friedman, Keynes, and Kevin A. Carson.

The way I see it is the fact that our society is predicated on the Protestant Christian valuation of work for its own sake. This is why perceived idleness is seen as sinful or distasteful. Instead of seeing it as a means for someone to pursue some other interest be it artistic, familial (raising children), or educational/technological, we’re forced by our norms to work above all else. Look at how even some famous entrepreneurs in US history have rarely taken vacations or taken up non-business projects until well into their retirement years (Bill Gates comes to mind). And even then, they take their pursuits in the same manner they would their past labors (as jobs). In essence, we have some really screwy social norms running amok. I think it’s time the virtue of idleness and self-cultivation be taught in our schools and just promoted in general. It’s really creepy to see how everything I’ve seen posted about what to do outside the job has some job-like quality to it.

8 Likes

It’s very weird you posted that since I remember reading Mises’ Human Action where it points that out with regard to the pursuit of all business venture is some psychological profit whether or not it has a monetary component. I think it’s something that’s been lost to us for some time in economics since everything has to be measured as some quantity of money or goods produced. Non-monetary pursuits get lost or outright ignored since you can’t really put a dollar amount to the time you spend with your children, spouse, or friends. Or anything else like a hobby. Today, we make things to keep ourselves busy rather than to enjoy what we already have or to reduce our labors.

3 Likes

Is it? I’ve been ‘coding’ all these years and I didn’t know it? Well, fuck.

I don’t agree that idleness is the same as self-cultivation. I see it more as the difference between the individual knowing how to exploit themselves, and the pretense that people can be fairly and practically exploited by a social hierarchy. In short, a self-motivated person might well be too busy for employment.

The Protestant Christian angle is also generally troubling for Westerners who are not Christian, or even religious. Having a secular state based upon religious ethics is hugely dishonest, and still seems to be an “elephant in the room” for the public at large.

1 Like

There have been a few SF stories about people trying to deal with a no-work future. Player Piano by Vonnegut. “Riders of the Purple Wage” by Philip Jose Farmer. Beggars in Spain and sequels by Nancy Kress.

We need more.

There’s some interesting stuff at the end of McLuhan’s Understanding Media about automation. As I recall, it boils down to: Stop panicking, and figure out how to educate people to deal with all that free time.

6 Likes
use Gods::Elder;
my $cthulu=Gods::Elder->new('Cthulu');
$cthulu->smash();
4 Likes

Credit to the replacers for a complete lack of ambiguity.

It would bother me far less to be replaced with “You’ve been replaced.” than it would to be replaced with "I’m sorry you’ve been replaced I’d like to keep employing you but (not really) just can’t because reasons.

2 Likes

There’s also Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by… name escapes me. Also, a couple-three novels by Charlie Stross - Iron Sunrise and its sequel, and possibly Glasshouse. Plus, the whole Culture shenanigans by the late Ian M. Banks.

3 Likes

That observation regarding the Calvinistic work ethic is hardly unique to Austria/Chicago. You might be interested in Bob Black’s “The Abolition of Work.” He’s a full-on anarchist!

2 Likes

Why is it so long? :^?

1 Like

I am answering this with a smile on a face and a fine, cheap wine.

Cause it is descriptive!!

It summons a god.
It casts a role
It gives it an action!!

Do you want moby dick in a series of pointers and methods? (Actually that could be fun)

This is gonna get weird, cuz wine and such.

My philosophy in coding is similar to my 8th grade Humanities teacher.

Say what yer gonna say. Say what you wanna say. Say what you said.

Soif you dispose of explanations for your code because of brevity, it is wrong. I respect pack statements, but I almost always refactor them.

In fact, Pack is for fun, Unpack is for serious. (Yes I understand the absurdity of that statement)

Yeah, but why so long? Unbrief APL would be one line. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

(APL, for when you really need to end the world as we know it.)

3 Likes

I don’t know why this factory feels it’s masculinity is threatened but it needs to get with the times

I’ll just write it in JCL.