"Unmanned factory" replaces 600 humans with robots

The price of Chinese labor is increasing, while the price of robots keeps dropping. This means less overseas outsourcing but not many more domestic jobs.

1 Like

Some famius balloonist I think.

1 Like

That works. Not as elegant, but no one can say that, when it comes to applied diabolism, JCL doesnā€™t get the job done.

2 Likes

Ever tell you about the time I crashed an As/400? It goes like thisā€¦ I crashed an As/400. Nobody said I couldnā€™t pipe pipe into pipe!!

5 Likes

Now thereā€™s a blast from the past! Havenā€™t seen one of those since about 1994 - the company I was with at the time used 'em. I moved to DEC shortly thereafter. Didnā€™t see any Big Blue equipment there, for some strange reasonā€¦

2 Likes

I feel this is a very important subject that will get pushed to the back burner for a lot of reasons. However, the fact that China is beginning to move hard in this direction is quite a shift. China has been growing manufacturing and million person cities like mushrooms for quite a long time. They are trying to grow the countryā€™s financial (and hence political) power and trying to smoothly urbanize huge numbers of rural Chinese. Without jobs they are going to have a lot of problems assimilating all of these people. On the other hand, labor costs have been going up in China and this is a big reason their growth has slowed so much from the 10% / year or more clip they had maintained.

And the use of robotics and automation is going to be felt here too. Self-driving cars and trucks will have a huge impact. Trucking companies and gig companies like Uber will snap up self-driving vehicles as fast as they can come off the production lines. No more employees to pay, no unions to deal with, running vehicles nearly constantly. The economics will be nearly unstoppable. However, what happens to all those people and those jobs. The US and the rest of the world is really going to have to start looking at what kind of impact this will have on the human race as a whole.

Iā€™ve just started to think about this, so if people have any suggestions for books and resources on the subject I would appreciate it. Iā€™ve taken a few notes from posts people have already put up.

Thanks

2 Likes

Make it Lucky Charms and Iā€™ve got a shiny new quarter with your name on itā€¦

Lol. I once crashed a VAX running VMS, by using DCL to create a new version of a command file every time it ran. Eventually it got up to version ;32767 and crashed that sucker HARD. Unfortunately it took weeks to crash, and Iā€™d long since moved on to another project. That was a fun one. I think a later version of VMS prevented that problem.

4 Likes

purge!

Does VMS purge renumber the version now? I havenā€™t used VMS in years. At the time, purge just killed the previous versions, which is what got meā€¦

I havenā€™t used it in 15 years, thankfully.

I think youā€™re right though, thereā€™s a separate command to reset the number? Or you just rename the file?

I hear the Mjƶlnir command works well, if you have access to it.

2 Likes

Beats me. Itā€™s been 10+ years since I used it. I live and code exclusively in a Windows XP/7/8 world these days.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.