Unmanned roadside stores in Japan

Yeah eggs. Not strictly neccisary for farm fresh eggs but in the brutal summer heat a good idea. Some times goat milk and berries too. Most of the other egg stands just use coolers.

1 Like

Maybe it transforms if you steal and then hunts you down to collect…

“In my 28 years of living in Japan, I’ve never seen or heard about anyone taking advantage of these unmanned, self-serve, roadside stores.”

cue Logan Paul …

1 Like

Very common throughout suburban and rural New England. One of my local favorites sells tomatoes right down the street from the Old North Bridge national park in Concord, MA (“shot heard round the world”, etc.)

1 Like

Was just about to mention this great article. I’ve long been curious as to how reproducible these results are in different areas, and if it could be applied to the automated (or self-owning digital contract) management of kiosks or other stores. I’ve long been intrigued by the ‘honor store’ concept as it seems to prove the suggestion that humans aren’t all just ‘profit maximizers’ or will behave like children locked in a candy store overnight just because things are presented to them free. I think there’s a bell-curve of responsibility between desperation and entitlement across the fabric of society.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen similar things in rural NY, CT, VA, ME, MD, RI, and out in the midwest. In RI, it was also common on a couple of docks for the fishermen to leave the less marketable fish with a dropbox for payment. While at URI I had many a meal of scup, tautog, spiny dogfish, and the odd squid as a tight-budgeted student.

2 Likes

I knew someone who ran something similar in an inner city setting in the UK. He started with fair trade bananas and eventually expanded to a whole fruit and veg stall outside his house (he used to drive to the wholesale market to stock up evey morning). The money went into his letter box and any cost from theft was far outweighed by zero staffing costs. It paid the mortgage on his house.

2 Likes

Wow.
Excellent.

And very nearly half a Terry Pratchett novel right there. Such an enticing premise and I love that it is actually in London.

I wish someone would interview the people running it. I’d love to hear their stories. Please, if you happen to have a picture, I’d love to see it posted here.

Honor stands and stores, all over, in the cities, in the rural areas, may it ever be so.
It keeps me hopeful for humanity.

Thanks for some actual good news.

ETA: grammar

I don’t walk that way every day (I avoid the tube and walk the backstreets when I can) but I’ve not seen one out recently. They may have just sold out.

It’s the house with the black window frame and white woodwork that used to be a shop on the corner here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5045748,-0.1090211,3a,75y,112.63h,88.54t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sxWWU9zI6pntPCfPhv0E2HQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DxWWU9zI6pntPCfPhv0E2HQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D80.227295%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100

Roupell Street is the last remnants of the older, residential history of this part of London. It’s not uncommon to see movies and TV filming there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.