Unmanned roadside stores in Japan

Adding rural areas in the Netherlands also. Always cool to see, but not that uncommon.

6 Likes

These sorts of stands are all over the Southern Gulf Islands in BC.

4 Likes

Ammon’d say, “Oh, Judge, your damn laws -the good people don’t need 'em and the bad people don’t obey 'em so what use are they?”

5 Likes

No matter what you say; eggs don’t range, they don’t range at all.

5 Likes

And BC, anywhere there is agriculture involving veggies, flowers or eggs. Often all 3.

4 Likes

Not uncommon here in Oregon. We get apples from a local stand.

Also very common in Hawaii – take a trip on Maui’s Hana Highway, and you’ll find some amazing fruit – stuff you’ve probably never heard of before… and a coconut confection… and fresh baked banana bread.

5 Likes

I was expecting robots. I’m disappointed.

9 Likes

How well trafficed are the ones in Japan?

The ones I’ve seen in the Midwest, there’s a decent number of cars passing by, presumably able to judge you if you don’t pay.

1 Like
4 Likes

They’re not in Japanese cities, either, and they last just fine in American rural areas.

5 Likes

Have seen some in rural Md, within an hour’s drive of DC.

2 Likes

I have one down the street from me about 1.5 hours south of Los Angeles. It’s quaintly built too!

4 Likes

Those are all over near me. Not even neccisarily near the camp grounds. Its just rural.

We also have tons of unmanned farm stands. All honor system. Usually a little metal cash box that’s not even tied down. Or a coffee can.

One of the neighbors actually managed to rig up a little fridge for their egg stand. So its a little wine fridge with an old letter box screwed to the side. Standing on an old iron cafe table. With a beach umbrella mounted over it. $5 bucks a dozen.

There was a guy who sold lobster and clams this way to. Just a cooler parked at the edge of a farm field, at the nearest intersection to the dock. No one around but the deer. Think he retired though.

You tend to get better eggs and apples from the little stands in my experience.

7 Likes

Yup. I pass through central CA every summer, and see “honor stands” all over the fruit producing areas.

Inexpensive fruit, and usually a little locked pipe or something to shove your few bucks into.

In my experience, they’ve generally been stocked with stuff that’s ripened just right. (i.e. great for now, would not pack and ship to stores very well).

Even in larger cities. My old boss used to put her extra avocados in a big party bucket outside of the hospital (in a fairly busy mini-mall) with a coffee can for the $. To my knowledge, nobody ever stole the can.

5 Likes

Passing through Western New York to a family member’s funeral I saw dozens of these in rural areas. Usually they were selling sweet corn or asparagus. The one I stopped at had an old metal lunch box screwed to the table with a luggage lock on the hasp. You dropped your money in through a slit in the top. It wouldn’t have stopped anyone who really wanted to steal it, but it was enough to keep the honest, honest.

3 Likes

What was in the fridge? Surely not eggs?

Yeah, there are loads of unmanned shops all over the UK these days.

2 Likes

Growing up in rural UK (Cornwall) this sort of thing is a common sight. Supermarket cauliflower is 1/2 the size and 3x the price so it was always a no-brainer to use them.

What I found surprising and heartwarming is seeing this in London (where we have the more urban problems other commenters here have highlighted). A small house near the busy Waterloo station evidently has an over-abundance of fruit and offers mismatched jars of homemade jam from a small box on their windowsill every summer. A welcome bit of countryside mentality in the uncaring metropolis.

7 Likes

As there are 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes of my house I’ve never felt the need.

I’d have the opposite reaction personally

1 Like

Wisconsin, check. Around here we see a lot of honey and maple syrup stands.

1 Like