That was a thing?

Continuing the discussion from Dᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ʜᴏᴡ ᴇᴀsʏ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴛᴏ ᴏᴘᴇɴ ᴀ ʀᴇʟᴀᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏᴘɪᴄ ɪɴsᴛᴇᴀᴅ ᴏғ ʀᴇᴘʟʏɪɴɢ ɪɴ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴀ ᴛᴏᴛᴀʟʟʏ ᴏғғ-ᴛᴏᴘɪᴄ ᴛᴀɴɢᴇɴᴛ?:

That was a thing?

1 Like

It was indeed a thing! Roller conveyor belt thingy, they’d roll your groceries outside, you’d go get your car and pop the trunk and they’d put them inside. This A&P still has the belty thing, but I doubt its used anymore.

13 Likes

How was I unaware of this?
I have three children to stuff in the backseat of my car- I want this to be a thing again. At Trader Joe’s.

16 Likes

They sell children at Trader Joe’s?

21 Likes

Yes.
They’re in the salad section (don’t ask).

10 Likes

Do they trade children? I’m asking for a friend.

3 Likes

I remember those. Always wanted to hop in the bin and ride the rollers…

I recall that our Red Owl store did it along with another chain.

9 Likes

All this had to be in the north… In the south, they have a nice young man bag up your groceries and walk you out to the car with your groceries, and they’d then expect a tip.

8 Likes

Here’s a tip: hey young man, stop putting the bread on the bottom!! And shave that pseudo stache, you look ridiculous!

7 Likes

That was a thing? Postal service in London used to be 12 times a day.

4 Likes

From what I recall, these replaced the fellows walking your bags to the car…
Instead of all the bag boys/girls having to wear winter-wear while bagging the items and then carrying them out to the car, now there was only one unlucky person who had to be decked out in arctic wear and suck up exhaust fumes while putting the stuff in trunks.

3 Likes

Pshaw, I say! [straightens tie] At Publix, once the finest grocery shopping experience on the planet, bagboys (neatly trimmed, clean shirts and conversation) were not allowed to accept tips, although once the old lady has rather expertly jammed the dollar bill all the way to the bottom of one’s rear pants pocket, it’s better to just leave it there and shower immediately upon returning home.

6 Likes

Remember when bemch seats in cars were a thing? How are kids expected to make out these days? Or even worse, how am I expected to make out?

11 Likes

I remember many times sliding on the metal bed of my grandfather’s truck and hitting my head on the window of the cab, as he stopped abruptly to avoid a kid with no helmet riding his bike.

16 Likes

When I lived there, it was still twice a day, and if you responded quickly enough to a letter that came in the first post, your response could get to the other party on the second post.

We also got milk delivered in glass bottles, with the cream risen to the top!

11 Likes

MacNamara dairy, with its glass bottles, is one of the things I miss about Vermont. I didn’t care for the milk, but the half and half was sweet nectar from the gods’ own udders.

2 Likes

I need to go back to the farm I used to frequent. 8% milk fat, and $6 a gallon.

6 Likes

When there were like 4 people in the front (or in a pick-up), the two people to the left would often duck down so it looked like the other two were getting very cozy…

3 Likes

I used to get that in the UK until about 2009 (they delivered a few other essentials at the same time). They were trying to get people to use the service more, both for environmental reasons and because it made it affordable for older or otherwise vulnerable people who couldn’t get out easily. The milkman could also act a little like the neighbourhood watch, and neighbours might want to check on someone if they hadn’t collected their milk by a certain time in the day.

5 Likes

Milk delivered and baked goods (bread, crumpets, etc…) as well. POM (Pride of Montreal) Bakery used to send its trucks all over the Island to deliver the latter.

1 Like