Ammunition vending machines come to U.S. grocery stores

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/08/ammunition-vending-machines-come-to-u-s-grocery-stores.html

13 Likes

Well, now I have a retort ready for when people say that we have weird vending machines in Japan.

34 Likes

How easy are these machines to shoot the lock off of them?
y’know to get more bullets to shoot the lock off the nearby bump-stock vending machine.

(“seem to be living through inverted mental health wards these days. inside is out here.” “but that would imply there are less nutty places inside somewhere…?” “uhm… libraries?” “haven’t they banned all those?” etc usw)

12 Likes

I would be just as worried about what would happen if one of these vending machines were in a fire

9 Likes

That ad copy from the company is surreal. Had it been written for Omni Consumer Products, people would’ve thought the movie about a heroically violent cyborg police officer wasn’t taking itself seriously enough.

8 Likes

As a resident of Buffalo, NY and an employee at a grocery store this to me seems in poor taste. Profits over lives.

22 Likes

There’s a good reason why this sounds like it was ripped straight out of the Borderlands games

11 Likes

fuck yeah GIF

16 Likes

I found a file photo.

9 Likes

What’s that from. It’s very Wes Anderson-y.

The good news is - not much. With out a barrel to allow it to build up pressure, bullets cooking off have significantly less velocity and pose way less risk than being fired. There is a NSSF video on youtube where they light pallets of ammo, a store fronts, and a tractor trailer on fire showing what sort of dangers and risks they pose. At worst, some rounds barely have the energy to go through one layer of sheet rock at close range, and fire fighters staying about 25 feet back with their gear on could fight the fires safely.

6 Likes

8 machines installed where? What’s the source for this story?

3 Likes

Several in Alabama (superinfection exactly no one) @Gryphon

1 Like

So now mass shooting is BYOG (Bring Your Own Gun). Bullets will be provided by whatever venues the future mass shooters decide to unleash their massacre on. My username says it all.

5 Likes

“Our smart retail automated ammo dispensers have built-in AI technology, card scanning capability and facial recognition software. Each piece of software works together to verify the buyer’s age and that the person using the machine matches the identification scanned,”

sounds like a fucking disaster.

8 Likes

Well. We are living in one of those cyberpunk novels…

5 Likes

The nearest mass shooting to me took place IN a grocery store. “Poor taste” is putting it mildly. There is no amount of death and misery that will get through to these people.

I used to be all for sane gun control that would allow people to keep their hobby if they just exercised a bare minimum level of responsibility and accountability, similar to what we already put up with to operate a motor vehicle or buy prescription drugs. But no, that was out of the question, no matter how many mass shootings and slayings of school kids piled up. No amount of blood spilled was worth slightly inconveniencing gun owners, ever. Well, fuck their hobby and fuck them. Repeal the second amendment and come to take their precious guns away like they’ve always feared. They had their chance to address the problem, and look what they’ve done with it.

17 Likes

Why not cut out the middleman, and just have these vending machines deliver the ammunition at operational velocity?

6 Likes

Just think-if a drone carrying ammo gets shot down three doors down from its destination, will that be the proximate cause of a gunfight in suburban Florida?

1 Like

Omni Consumer Products, phtt

For truly evil corporate shenanigans look towards Veridian Dynamics

6 Likes

That depends if its an African or European Swallow drone

4 Likes