Unregulated boarding school for autistic kids sounds more like a prison

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/22/unregulated-boarding-school-for-autistic-kids-sounds-more-like-a-prison.html

11 Likes

I’ll just leave here a reminder that as bad as Shrub Oak “school” looks to be, it could still be worse.

The Judge Rotenberg Center is still open, operating, and taking patients inmates, which is everything that Shrub Oaks is, and also straps remote controlled tasers to children in order to electric shock them out of “being autistic”.

JRC has a fifty year history of literally torturing children for profit, and there have been deaths. It is still legal.

#StopTheShock

24 Likes

Because of course a kid on the spectrum is by definition a “troubled teen”. The greedy scumbags who run these abuse factories are nothing if not creative in finding new ways to market them and to avoid oversight by the state.

A couple of other reference points:

16 Likes

Autism has always been the intersection point of every form of quackery, kook religion, and “troubled teen” abusers.

18 Likes

And of course autistic kids in particular need what all of those charlatans and crooks are incapable of offering: love, empathy, patience and understanding.

18 Likes

And respect. (The real stuff, the artificial substitutes just aren’t the same.)

11 Likes

Get the kids out.

Burn it down.

13 Likes

Holy shit, how is that place still open? It also sounds like every time someone attempts to shut it down, the parents do everything they can to keep it open? WTH? Have the parents been brainwashed, or do they all just want to keep their own children locked up and tortured? WTF is going on?

13 Likes

I suspect it’s basically brainwashing. “Only we can save your kid, only we have the knowledge and skill to save them and give them a normal life. You love your kid, right? You don’t want to damn them to an autistic life of failure, do you? Only we can save them, only we can save them, only we can save them…”

Not sure why the police always, always, always side with the institution of wealthy child abusers, though. Oh, wait, I guess I answered my own question. :frowning:

8 Likes

Police = rich man’s militia…

8 Likes

Professional aides for autistic people do NOT earn anywhere near $500,000/year. The cruelty is just the cherry on top: this is about fraud and greed, using highly vulnerable children as the means to get away with it.

14 Likes

I was just doing the math. Doing the math, assuming ~20$ / hr, that’s about enough money enough for three full time aides working in three 8 hour shifts, 24/7, 365 days a year.

4 Likes

Burn a bunch of them.

10 Likes

You fool! There is no profit in that! How can you quantitate and bill for that? Seriously, as one who cares for autistic kids regularly (including my own), fuck thes guys with a cactus.

Cartoons Comics Rage GIF

7 Likes

Nothing good ever follows the word “unregulated”.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.