Up for auction: the Tin Man's oil can from the Wizard of Oz (1939)

Originally published at: Up for auction: the Tin Man's oil can from the Wizard of Oz (1939) | Boing Boing

5 Likes

That sucks. He’ll seize up without that oil can.

My favorite Oil Can:

4 Likes

It would make a great bong, and an ice breaker at parties.

7 Likes

In a quick search I found nearly identical looking vintage oil cans up for sale, even in the same color, so it looks like this was an off-the-shelf purchased item used in the film rather than a custom prop. I don’t think they even painted it. So, considering that there were at least a couple other identical ones used, the insurance valuation of $1 million seems a bit high. It would still be bragging rights for someone as a conversation piece, though.

7 Likes

Maybe not.

Inhales deeply…
You know, this bong was once the oil can that greased up the Tin man’s groin joints in the Wizard of Oz.
Exhales…

4 Likes

When the NFT of the link to the image of this oil can fetches more bitcoin than the selling price for the (possibly authentic) physical object then we may declare the beginning of The Age of Digital Vacuity (“Or as i likes to call it [examines naked wrist] about tea-time”)

2 Likes

Now I have to get this out of my head… :laughing:

3 Likes

Marketing copy for cultural and historical artifacts like this always makes me a bit depressed.

1 Like

I, like many, love this film with all my heart. The “Oil can what?” line is the best gag in the entire film. All the other stuff is funny and yaddah yaddah yaddah - yeah, sure - but “Oil can what?” is the fucking best. So there.

2 Likes

Come on, make it sporting…have the auctioneers throw apples at the bidders while they compete for the prize.

4 Likes

Keep it besdside for lube dispensing?

Bill Hader Yes GIF

4 Likes

I will buy it and mod it to be a bong.

1 Like

I dunno. Is it filled? That could definitely affect it’s current value…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.