UPS Teamsters ready to stage America's biggest strike since 1997, with solidarity as the main sticking point

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/06/divide-and-rule-2.html

10 Likes

Good! And I hope it works well for them.

21 Likes

My dreams of Joe Hill are getting more and more vivid!

10 Likes

I’d wish I’d be that positive in a situation like that.

17 Likes

Expect increased focus on automation and driverless tech integration.

13 Likes

I can’t wait for them to come up with a robot van that casually tosses parcels over the fence.

16 Likes

This is actually one of the reasons I hope the union succeeds.

Drive up the cost of labor as much as reasonably achievable. In the near term, better standards of living for workers. In the long term, drive investment into better automation.

3 Likes
1 Like

What fence? I live in an apartment. Good luck with that in a City.

6 Likes

I think then that your AI generate delivery note might read, “I tried to deliver your package, but no one was in. I have left your package in a safe space on the roof of your building, or maybe in the next street over, it is difficult to calculate the correct trajectory from the curbside.”

9 Likes

$75k to deliver packages?

68d

4 Likes

Hey, don’t knock the teamsters; they have a lot to Hoffer the world.

4 Likes

The Philly Parking Authority would impound their ass. Perhaps autonomously - but they do prefer the personal touch.

5 Likes

That’s assuming random Philadelphians don’t destroy it first…

1 Like

Two words: air cannon.

3 Likes

Air Gatling Gun?

3 Likes

As someone who worked for UPS from '88-'94 and voted against two contracts that codified the two- then three-tier pay system based on start date, this is long overdue.

Both times, increasing bonuses were dangled in front of workers that led to the contract being ratified.

11 Likes

The article says that the union members are “divided”. I wonder how many of the full time drivers are willing to strike in order to bring the part-timers in at $36 an hour. I can hope…

30th Floor?

1 Like

Only if it has a Cowboys bumper sticker

4 Likes