Urban Outfitters' "blood-spattered" Kent State sweatshirt condemned by university

I’ve got a red T-shirt that’s faded on one side and the inevitable pinhole burns all down the front of it look very similar. The dark thread is pulled through and contrasts against the lighter thread.

3 Likes

Ok, so here’s the thing.

Your bizzarre personal/geo-political insult-o-rants do nothing to change the fact that colour fading due to UV bombardment only effects the outermost surface layers of a fabric.This effect can be seen all over the damn place. Look at any fabric that has been exposed to sunlight in only one direction and then look at the reverse of the fabric. Look for any fabric where there has been a part of it masked from sunlight. UV light simply cannot penetrate beyond the surface.

Go have a look at the picture in the article. Go on. I’ll wait here while you zoom in and see that the “added blood spatters” are actually holes in the fabric where the inner non-faded fibres show through.

Oh and while you are at it, go and have a look at the original design of the shirt to see the colour it came in when sold. look familiar?

If you are going to go all out crazy in defence of something, make sure you are right.

1 Like

URBAN OUTFITTERS ANNOUNCES:
Gestapo hats for sale!
Yes boys and girls you too can be the first on your block to own your very own Gestapo Hat with skull and crossbones in Black.
Better yet, Urban Outfitters, as part of their never ending need to make more money announced today that during Fashion Week on 7th Avenue in New York they will present their new line of Concentration Camp Uniforms!
“I figure we’ll sell at least 6 million of these babies” stated Richard Hayne, president and CEO of Urban Outfitters.
“If they sell like we think they will, people can accessorize by adding the yellow Jewish star arm band!” he quipped excitedly.
“Next season we intend to release our fall KKK outfits in small medium and extra-large in several fun colors”
“And if all goes as planned we are looking at signing a deal with the Chinese to manufacture those human skin lamp shades that never really made it to market.” Added Jim David, VP of Marketing.
Maybe it’s our own fault. Maybe these idiots were never told or never understood that even though America provides an environment which encourages capitalism, that maybe, just maybe, there are lines of respectability, decency or proper behavior that are simply not crossed.
Can you actually imagine the marketing meeting where they sat down and decided that the Kent State Sweatshirt was a good idea!?
Who are these people? Where did they come from?
What little did they know or understand about who we are?
Maybe we’re to blame, their parents and their grandparents for not teaching them.
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”
Before we go, we better make sure that our kids understand.

1 Like
  1. Doubtless
  2. Indisputable
  3. [citation needed]

[citation needed] [badly]

[like, 50 citations needed]

That is not darning repair. Some of the spots are less than 1mm.

Also, since you know so much, maybe you could sell me some lightfast nylon thread? I buy lots of nylon thread & not one mill has ever offered me lightfast nylon in any format. Maybe you want polyester? But it doesn’t matter, because nobody is darning 1mm holes on an old sweatshirt, it isn’t impossible, it just is not done. Why don’t you first google some examples of darning repair of cotton sweatshirt fleece, if you can find any at all that is. People don’t do that, people who know how know why not. And darning a 1mm hole would leave a 3mm thread patch, but there are -red dye- marks much smaller than that.

As for my tone with CptPledge, he was the one that said he wouldn’t know of that piece of history b/c he ? wouldn’t ? b/c he isn’t a US person. Extrapolating his own statement is perfectly fair, it isn’t US history, it is in fact a piece of modern western history, he isn’t expected to know it, but it isn’t b/c he isn’t a US person.

As for you, let me point out your stunning reasoning. Sure, UO does things like this, they’ve done it before, they’ll do it again, but they didn’t this time, it’s impossible, right? Because why again? They said so? Did they now?

Sad.

Side by side, the red in the UO stained is brighter & redder than what you claim is the original Kent State red.

BTW, terrible googling, your example is an old, faded sweatshirt sold as vintage. Unfaded Kent State red from that run still was never as bright as the red dye intended to look like blood on the UO one.

But your buddy claims those are repair holes, they aren’t.

Because they were clearly photographed in the same conditions. OH NO WAIT! THEY WEREN’T

You were the one who claimed that the sun damage couldn’t have made the shirt darker, I was merely pointing out that the shirt was originally darker and the colour of the darker spots was the original colour of the shirt.

Take that up with him then. I never made such a claim. In fact I specifically said something different:

Get my name right in the future please, or even better, go away and accept that you are wrong.

1 Like

some people just dig in harder when they are wrong and double down. i’m choosing to just let it go, not worth it. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter what he thinks about the origins of the shirt as it changes absolutely nothing. If he wants to think it was intentional and be outraged, meh, i’m cool with that.

I said -brighter-, not darker. The shirt you claim is original Kent State red (but it is faded from a slightly darker red) will never fade to a cherry red like that of the dye spattered on the UO example. Never, it doesn’t work that way.

You still think that cotton sweatshirt fleece is a magical layered substance with a unique ability to retain an original dye colour beneath the nonexistent outer layer, which can then be scraped away to expose the original colour?

That cotton is not opaque, UV resistant, layered, able to prevent fading of dyes on the non-existtent inner layers for any reason.

You & your buddy have some really wild ideas about fabrics, sewing repairs, dyes, UV, pantone & crazed right-wing fashion floggers.

Is it because you are customers that you defend Urban Outfitters so? Are you embarrassed that you were a Fashion Fool Fleeced to Fund Fundamentalists?

It’s got to be something.

Not trying to interrupt the flamefest or anything, but I’d like to chime in that it’s not impossible that the red bits on the faded sweater picture are indeed the same brick red as the ‘new’ photo posted above when seen in person.

It’s not too difficult to imagine whoever processed the image was heavy handed with the contrast and saturation sliders in Photoshop (to accentuate the difference between faded and non faded bits perhaps? a side effect of the processing used to make the background pure white? maybe ‘make every color super vibrant to sell more’ is a company policy? who knows) and that’s why it apears a bright ‘cherry red’ in the picture, not necessarily because it’s actually that color. Perfect color accuracy is impossible in the best of times with all the care in the world and the proper tools (calibrated monitors and printers, etc) and it’s plausible they simply don’t care about it.

Source: from looking at the pixels and having a bit of product-picture-treatment experience in my day. That’s all I got. Flame on.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.