US Library of Congress needs help identifying the people in these photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/01/us-library-of-congress-needs-help-identifying-the-people-in-these-photos.html

2 Likes

Mom, is that you?

3 Likes

I’ve legitimately been pondering adding some kind of notes to my pics, but would require me messing with metadata. Been thinking about it because when i go through my picture gallery every now and then i look at pics i’ve taken and i wonder what the context was and there’s some i no longer remember details around it. Being able to add a descriptor to a photo would be a lot of work if one has taken a ton of pics but for posterity it’d be pretty invaluable should one go through the effort.

2 Likes

The first picture is definitely 90’s era Megadeth, but clearly the lady in front is not Dave Mustaine. I can see why the mystery.

2 Likes

Cast of the short-lived NBC show “Cheerleader College, USA.”

I believe it was a mid season replacement for The Brady Bunch spin-off “The Brady Brides.”

cheerleaders

Also: I still can’t believe they cancelled “Sheriff Lobo.”

2 Likes

I’m not an avid photographer, but I imagine metadata to be exactly what you want, only I don’t know how convenient it is to read and edit that data. This is one advantage print photos have over digital in my mind: all of my Grandmother’s photos have notes on the back of who, when and where the photo took place, and all she needed was a pen.

1 Like

Downside is the cost of printing and then the space they’d need to take. However given the chance i would prefer to print pictures, and as you said it would be a simpler task to add notes to the back

1 Like

A one-off backing vocalist?

I recommend Darktable for this. It’s an open-source application, and it’s easy to import entire folders and then add metadata tags for all photos, or to select a few and add/remove tags.

You can then filter via those tags.

You can also tag with a few colours and with a star rating, which helps when whittling down a large number of photos to just the ones you want.

Best of all, the metadata is stored both in a small SQLite database AND in sidecar XML files. So it’s hard to lose that data - it can always be reimported or extracted with simple scripts if you need to do something later.

1 Like

The second one looks a lot like a young Thomas Jane, from The Expanse (which I recently binged and highly recommend!) and a Punisher movie among other things.

But surely others would have spotted that before me if it were he

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.