US Navy lab tests "disposable" microdrones that glide down from the sky

honestly, while it’s kind of scary when the military makes something like this… all i can think of are those balsa wood snap-together gliders i had a few times as a kid… and i really want to make a drone version of that now.

i wonder what kind of power supply it uses, and what kind of motor to move the flaps.

It looks all completely stock. Dry cell batteries (because its single use). Servos from hobby king. I have code which will drive a bunch of servos from a micro controller. I use it for my robotics projects. A cheap GPS module feeding the micro controller through a serial interface. Maybe a hundred bucks of parts in each unit.

1 Like

The best part about the video is when the camera pans to the right and you see some guy left a cup of coffee on a $200,000 machine. Not a single comment, you guys disappoint me! For Shame.

1 Like
1 Like

And then we’ll have other microscopic drones built to counter-attack these, and eventually all the nano-dust ends up clogging the air like coal smoke of the Victorian era?

DAMN YOU NEAL STEPHENSON! YOU STRUCK AGAIN!

2 Likes

And that is precisely what I was going for! Nice rod logic you used there.

1 Like

That book freaked out 1000x more than anything in Snow Crash, and continues to even today.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.