US police kill 2.6 people a day

Unfortunately that’s not true. They killed eight in 2012 and another eight in 2013. As far as I can tell the official statistics for 2014 haven’t been released yet, but the number should be in the same ballpark.

1 Like

Forty-nine people had no weapon

Considering how often police are caught contributing “drop guns” to crime scenes, this is the statistic I find most surprising.

3 Likes

I have never been in a situation where a policeman was doing something beneficial that could not have been equally well done by someone else who was not a policeman. In those cases where a non-militarized civilian would not have been able to perform the actions of the police, it’s been because what the police were doing was wrong. I’m sure your experiences have been different from mine; life is inherently subjective. But personally I don’t need or want police. Where I live, having police in shooting range of anyone I love just means they are in far greater danger of being murdered, raped or robbed than they would be otherwise.

Of course, the dream of a totally disarmed society (which becomes increasingly popular as the rhetoric of the NRA and other “gun activists” becomes increasingly insane) is not compatible with the dream of a society without cops. People who insist on giving up their ability to protect themselves from criminality will need bloody-handed, inherently brutal men to protect their pale uncalloused persons. Obviously nobody who dislikes violent, potentially lethal confrontation will want a low-paying job that requires the capacity and ability to use lethal force.

1 Like

They say the the constitution isn’t a suicide pact. Are they wrong?

Of course my experience is different. I don’t live in an objectively insane country.

1 Like

totally agree. statistically, compared to other countries, this is probably excessive use of force. no argument there.

nevertheless - I still don’t think that gives us a pass to assume the worst in every case.

Of course not. But it does give you a pass to think the worst in any single case (and every single case … just not all of them at the same time)

Sorry, the flag on your icon fooled me. I assumed you live in Great Britain.

Oh my.

I never saw the movie, but wasn’t this kind of the plot of The Purge?

I loooove the 10th Amendment. Have you seen our federal lawmakers?

It’s a loose paraphrase of a quote wrongly attributed to Orwell.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.