Calculating US police killings using methodologies from war-crimes trials

[Read the post]

5 Likes

This is interesting and I’m wondering if we can extend this to the malevolent negligence that created the crisis in Flint, MI?

2 Likes

Do I read that right? 1/3 of all murders in the 'states are committed by police?

So…whats the line here, really, where things get so bad that change must happen, lest it cost these people everything?

There’s a language issue here. When the police kill someone it is not “murder” as when criminals kill someone. The overwhelming majority of people killed by police are: armed, violent and /or mentally ill … in other words they were a danger to citizens and /or officers. Being killed under those circumstances in not murder.

Also, keep in mind that even if there are 1,500 people a year killed by police that is a minuscule number when compared the the TENS of MILLIONS of police contacts and arrests a year. Put the numbers into perspective and consider the context of the deaths.

1 Like

Not quite: most murders victims know their killers.

Of the remaining killings by strangers – these killings being the exception – 1/3 are committed by strangers.

7 Likes

9 Likes

No, you didn’t read that right: 1/3 of all killings (not necessarily murders) by strangers in the US are committed by the police.

And yes: a change desperately needs to happen.

9 Likes

Also, keep in mind that in other countries, there are billions of police contacts and arrests per year; and in those other countries, the police don’t kill 1,500 people a year.

21 Likes

Unfortunately,it seems people just want to go after the police … instead of the politicians who write the laws, create our educational system, and are in charge of spending decisions and infrastructure.

Politicians are destroying cities and - in the case of Flint literally KILLING people - yet they are largely left alone. But if one officer make a mistake - or even if it’s not a mistake and the force is justified - there’s hell to pay.

It’s way more “sexy” to go after the police. “F*ck the Police” and all that stuff I guess. Plus “anarcho-trust-funders” with daddy issues LOVE attacking the police. It’s a lifestyle and hobby for them. They don’t care if they get in trouble and arrested at “protesting” … they know that trust-fund’s there. No worries - just anarchy!

24 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS on your award Jon!! it’s awful nice that someone got you mug … I guess they they really care … :slight_smile:

It’s way more sexy to go after the “anarcho-trust-funders,” it’s a lifestyle and a hobby for them. They don’t care if they get in trouble, they just create another pseudonymous account.

The vast majority of people I see pictured at protests don’t look like they have a trust-fund, they look more like the fast food employees protesting an unlivable minimum wage.

13 Likes

I think you meant the last word there to be “police.”

2 Likes

Because going after the police is more “sexy” and it’s not just for the protesters … no, journalists love going after police too. They get to run around in “dangerous” conditions and take exciting photography - all the while patting themselves on the back.

Which countries have better police outcomes with as large and diverse a population as ours? We should be looking at them. Brazil is big and really diverse, right?

What other countries can we look to?

Ah but do the countries have those people?

Switzerland, a country with four different official languages is very not homogenous

8 Likes

How about the UK? Shared language and culture (to an extent), pretty densely populated and highly ethnically diverse in the major centres. Huge sample size and relatively easy to use their data and extrapolate.

You won’t like the answer, though.

15 Likes

Ok, I get it…
Since those people get shot more by the police, it means that. those people need to be shot more often because of reasons.

8 Likes

Hmmm … The Swiss are only 8 million people and we speak roughly 311 languages here. I’m trying to think of a place that’s more comparable: A huge, diverse population makes things more challenging and if another country with similar demographics is doing better than us we should study them.

Police do learn from each other,for example: a group of officers from the California Highway Patrol were in Morocco to help train their officers recently.