Calculating US police killings using methodologies from war-crimes trials

“You won’t like the answer, though.” Why do you say that?

What in God’s name are you talking about??

Yes… yes I suppose in a way it could be “sexy” to “fuck the police.” Handcuffed cavity searches, electroshocked into submission, etc.
I am kidding (or am I?)
But you are literally defending homicide on the grounds that the dead person was likely ill. Or armed (a constitutional right). Or violent (whereas the upstanding police officer was merely killing them to death).

I agree it’s a piddling problem, but you’re saying shit things like an asshole might say.

7 Likes

They don’t have guns like we do. That makes it difficult to compare the situations.

Don’t sidetrack, next to the official languages many more are used in Switzerland. And as the article is about police killings the different population size is not the most important point: Policing in the US is mostly organized on county level, the Swiss use a canton-based model - the area a police agency covers is comparable.

5 Likes
  1. Thanks for sharing

2. Does it really matter if you’re kidding or not?

3. No. I’m not “literally defending homicide” jeez …

4 Name calling: Tacky…

Yes, as it is a joke, it does not matter.

in regards to #3, you wrote this:

The overwhelming majority of people killed by police are: armed, violent and /or mentally ill … in other words they were a danger to citizens and /or officers.

That seems to me like you are trying to justify the actions of the officers who have homicided some hominoids who fit those categories. Have I misunderstood?

edit - by “actions” I mean homicidal killings

9 Likes

i could be wrong but i think he’s implying that there is an unfortunate racial aspect to the arguments you are using especially given the reality of who the most common recipients of police violence tend to be in our diverse society.

8 Likes

That means that of all the killings by strangers in the USA, one third are committed by the police.

I don’t understand the relevance of this? Yes, statistically, you are likely to know your killer, either from being mixed up in the same illicit activities, or a victim of domestic violence.

But what is the relevance of this statistic with the police? The police have a job and that entails interacting with strangers all day.

And while I have been very vocal about condemning what appears to be unjustified police shootings, let us remember there are a lot of justified ones out there. The problem is the Thin Blue Line doesn’t want to discern between the two enough. You can’t fix a problem you can’t even admit to.

1 Like

Well, for one thing it puts an interesting spin on the hoary old “stranger danger” chestnut; If you want your kids to be safely returned when they get lost, perhaps the best advice is that they flee the US police.

9 Likes

Really? Are you fucking with me? Because that statement is not ok.
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

16 Likes

Account 2 hours old: check
All posts in this thread: check
Reflexive authoritarian bootlicking: check
Doubling down when challenged: check
American exceptionalism: check

It’s possible he isn’t, but I wouldn’t put much money on it.

18 Likes

You mean those people, who all originate from the same continent? (Canadians must originate from another continent, eh.)

4 Likes

No. Let us instead remember that we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Therefore no state shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

11 Likes

this previous comment of mine (and the comments that followed) Survivor-count for the Chicago PD's black-site/torture camp climbs to 7,000+ seem relevant.

No, that’s an incorrect reading. Most murders in the US are committed by someone known to the victim. It’s murders by strangers where the police do a third of the killing. RTFM and all that.

2 Likes

If only I could give you all my likes :disappointed:

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s a good idea. The tools already exist for getting politicians to care about human life. Mostly that means vote the rascals out. Getting the police to care about civilian lives as much as they cate about their fellow officers, is a much more difficult problem, and will take much more attention.

4 Likes

well because they’re diverse, it’s even worse than perverse, because it’s got both the verse part of verse and perverse (poetry is the most disgusting art) and the di part of Princess Di and Die (depending on if you pronounce it correctly or in a diverse manner in which case…)

1 Like

I hope that was in jest. But yes, “stranger danger” is largely bullshit.

2 Likes