US teen's TikTok video on China's Muslim camps (and beauty tips) goes viral

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/26/us-teens-tiktok-video-on-chi.html

7 Likes

Beauty tips and ethnic cleansing together again…

7 Likes

I love the creativity of young activists. It gives me so much hope.

15 Likes

Does anyone even want to feign believing China in this?

I mean come on how stupid do you think the rest of the world is Xi?

This is what happens when you give government control to a company why would you expect anything less?

7 Likes

So neat how this girl has used an apparent apparatus of the Chinese government to spread this message! I am curious if it is visible in China?

8 Likes

It’s also good that, in the process, she publicised to other teens the fact that TikTok is effectively part of the Chinese government.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure that is not true of any major internet platform, anywhere, much less TikTok.

8 Likes

I presume it would be possible to sneak in videos of this sort and even others like pro-HK democracy vids if they were further obfuscated by talking about topics China doesn’t like by using metaphors, word play and other creative methods. It would be nearly impossible for them to catch all of it, make it a challenge even.

4 Likes

Some of the “non-political” moderation of TikTok includes that you can’t be in favor of Kurds not being slaughtered and you can’t show same-sex couples holding hands, but sexually exploited children are ok:

6 Likes

They’re on to you:

4 Likes

Perfect, i like a good wild goose chase.

2 Likes

I suspect China’s dictator for life is banking on apathy and corporate greed. He’s right about the latter, but his reliance on the former could backfire if more people follow this young lady’s excellent example. Which is why a global superpower is afraid of her.

4 Likes

Beauty tips from Barbra Streisand.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.