YouTuber, iced out of monetization, looks to China

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/youtuber-iced-out-of-monetizat.html

5 Likes

I thought TikTok is china’s version of TikTok

16 Likes

China has got a murderous domestic robot? Cool!

8 Likes

Looks pretty round-eyed.

6 Likes

The dog at 0:39 = every BoingBoing reader listening to this guy. Well, that was my initial impression but it rolls out into a terrific piece. He’s dedicated and hard working. If there isn’t a better phrase for insensitively stepping on cultural/political landmines (the risk Rob mentions here), how about Logan Pauling?

4 Likes

I hate this reality

9 Likes

aPauling :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

“Chinese people could find his old Yutube video…”
Nope,
YouTube is blocked in China

4 Likes

hegemony is getting really weird.

1 Like

This is the only Tik Tok that matters.

1 Like

They may also be found … elsewhere.

4 Likes

“Big in China” - it’s the much-awaited sequel series to “Hot in Cleveland.”
:wink:

The future is weird and stupid sometimes.

2 Likes

As long as you’re the right kind of person (that is, exactly the kind of person who could turn a video of him smoking weed into a massive deal,) my understanding is that the government usually looks the other way with regard to VPNs.

One framing of this issue that I’ve disliked is that some people suggest that China is tempting Western companies into doing their bidding. My problem with that is that it suggests that the companies are somehow in control of what they do, which is not at all the case. The companies’ goal is to make a profit, and China is a large, wealthy market. Of course they’d do whatever they can to ensure that they have a place in that market. The same applies when we talk about companies using unethical labor practices, or partnering with Saudi Arabia, or using slavery in Qatar (and let’s not talk about the US government for now). You’re not going to get a “good” company that will just decide to do the right thing out of the goodness of their hearts. You might get a company that decides that the damage to PR outweighs the profits to be made, and makes a bold stance in public for the brownie points, but that’s the best you’re getting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.