US to require air travelers to show 'gold star' at airports in order to fly

Thanks for sharing this. I laughed out loud.

But…

“Um…,” son turns to you, “what did you want me to tell them again?”

9 Likes

If they can let somebody “skip it” without planes falling out of the sky, why do other people have to do it?

2 Likes

One of my daughters who doesn’t drive had to renew her Illinois state ID anyway so she applied for the REAL ID. They wouldn’t accept a formal letter from her bank on letterhead still inside an envelope which had been clearly sent via the US postal service. Instead, she had to go home and print a scan of a statement from the bank’s website instead. No letterhead or other distinguishing mark…As you say, the sort of thing that can be so easily manipulated.

7 Likes

Whenever any government agency uses the word “enhanced” to describe something, it invariably means they have made that thing worse.

3 Likes

Why a letterhead from a bank?
To get an Identity card (aka carta di identità) in Italy if one doesn’t ave the older one could either use other valid documents, like a passport, hunting or fishing license, driver license, sailing license, failing that the mayor could declare that knows personally the person, failing that two person that have an ID card, under penalty of perjury, and finally get caught by a cop, get a mugshot and get the order to get an ID card.

2 Likes

I believe in Illinois the two pieces of mail are to document your current home address is what you say it is.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have Italy some kind of citizen registry, like Germany? Keeping not only track of birth records, but also current residency? Reading up on Wikipedia, looks like ANPR does more or less the same as the German Einwohnermeldeamt and comparable continent European agencies.

As far as I can tell English countries, especially the US, aren’t keen on that and see it as a big infringement of freedom.

2 Likes

I think you are getting things mixed up. I fly out of bunches of US airports every year, and have consistently been made to take off shoes. Unless, as @joeblough mentioned, I get lucky enough to get the TSA precheck assigned to my ticket. (I don’t pay for that, but sometimes the airport will put it on your ticket. I don’t know why, but it’s a treat when it happens.) Other than that, I believe it’s under 12 years old or over 62 or so and you can keep them on.
It must’ve been a few years ago, but I was flying through London and was shocked that I didn’t have to take my shoes off.

The Passport card is good for boat or car travel between Canada and US. You can’t fly out of the country with it.

1 Like

The whole point is that this new required ID is another level of ‘security’ from the drivers licenses and state IDs that have been in existence until now. Everything that works for you in Italy worked fine for us too, until this new REAL ID requirement which goes into effect next year.

3 Likes

In the old times every town had a registry of residents in the town, normally on ledgers or cards, then someone started to use punched cards then computers and what happened that every town had totally incompatible systems.
Being resident in a town means that you can vote there for the mayor and other elections. So every town nee these record and if one moves the record of residency on a city has to be deleted and a new record in the new city has to be made.
If the record in the old city for some reasons is not deleted and one moves back, really weird things start to pop up. Happened to me, so i that to pay more for the trash because looked that me and my doppelgänger were living in my flat. To end this I had to go to the city hall and sign a weird document stating that I was myself and myself only.
Having a centralized DBMS could help to solve these problems.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.