Using "woman" in place of "female"

Proper grammar… That’s why.
Woman is not an adj.

What in the world is disrespectful about the word female and what makes woman any less disrespectful?

What kind of ‘splainin’ is that?

1 Like

Grammarsplainin’

1 Like

You two will need to make another topic if you prefer to discuss why people drop the “g” from the ends of words!

4 Likes

Why do we have ‘him’ and ‘his’ but only ‘her’?

2 Likes

Weirdly I started doing this a few years ago, I imagine it came up in the news then too––I have a few close friends for whom ‘female’ is loaded terminology, so I took to saying woman almost exclusively. Someone noticed and got confused one time, but other than that it seems to go unnoticed. I recommend trying it for a while–language that sounds strange today is pretty normal and mundane tomorrow.

2 Likes

Using the word preferred by the person the word is referencing probably nurtures more safety, trust and communication.

I think the term “pc” is worth avoiding generally since it’s pejorative and associated with categorically questioning the value of using terms acceptable to all parties to a conversation, esp. those historically denied their voices.

2 Likes

I’m sure the sanitation engineers agree with you

Cultural feminists like Carol Gilligan might say women have more feels? Critical feminists like Nancy Fraser might say that’s essentialism?

My grandma would sound more like an equity or existential feminist and just tell me to get out of her face with that women are different than men shit.

3 Likes

I just call all groups of people larger than three participants “Jeff’s”. For example, " A Jeff of cyclists just rode past me". Or, “We need to examine the system discrimination of Jeff’s in the workplace.”

(Okay, now I’ll stop with my strained Izzard riffs).

The main reason I don’t like using woman or man exclusively is because of girl and boy. Crone and codger also come to mind. In some contexts using woman /women virtually exclusively makes sense, like the American workforce. But the workforces in other countries?

I dunno, I’ll call anyone whatever they want to be called. Malala was certainly a woman waaaaay before I had any right to call myself man.

5 Likes

Yeah, this has been bugging me ever since I had a poli sci prof remind me of the difference between adjective (female) vs. noun (woman). And yes, I got dinged on that paper.

Yes, I hear “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.”

It just hurts my ears.

1 Like

[quote=“hello_friends, post:28, topic:75512, full:true”]
Using the word preferred by the person the word is referencing probably nurtures more safety, trust and communication.[/quote]

I’m down with that when it comes to a person’s name. And I’m for gender neutral job titles, like firefighter. But I’m not all about pandering to every person’s delicate sensibilities so that they each get their own custom-worded happy place.

2 Likes

What if they are a gynecologist?

3 Likes

Would a urologist be a “man doctor”? Still grammatically suspect.

1 Like

That’s a “lady doctor”

5 Likes

It’s not pandering or inappropriate to communicate effectively. My staff understand that professional courtesy is a basic condition of working together —and esp. with clients.

I believe the preferred term is “the doc who done poke around in your ladyparts.”

3 Likes

Now hold up here… who says we can’t use nouns as adjectives?

• race horse
  • ticket window
  • tennis ball
  • book store
  • board game production costs
  • coffee cup

It’s called a “noun adjunct” ya dinguses.

11 Likes