Utah "monolith" was removed and broken down by annoyed locals

Nope. Humans are nature as much as anything else. We all share the same building blocks and evolutionary history. People are nature. There is no debate or argument. Are we good neighbors to our fellow earth beings. That we can debate.

But a city is as much nature as the desert or rainforest. We should treat all of our spaces with the same reverence and respect.

2 Likes

More art please, however sandstone deserts are fragile ecological areas. I am pleased so many people were drawn to this work, that it’s province is mysterious, very good, none the less it’s likely better to set this stuff up at burning man.

I know a spot in the area where first nation folks made arrowheads overlooking the confluence of two creeks. Thousands and thousands of flakes and imperfect fletched stones. Another couple spots with petroglyphs, one features six fingered hands and toes, beautiful stuff. If I uploaded pictures I could see things getting out of hand fast. I am conflicted since I love art AND nature. Maybe it’s for the best it is gone, this work was certainly in a sensitive area. Then again, it’s a perfect setting for moving art.

4 Likes

Your nope is putting a whole lot of words in my mouth that aren’t there, which is basically a strawman.

Humans need to learn not to expand to take over all available space and shape it to our ever changing whim. We do this at our own peril, under the guise of, “well, we’re nature too!” Nobody questioned that. If amoeba take over the earth, i.e. every nook and cranny gets amoebaed, it would be the same story, different species.

Similarly, we have not yet learned to coexist. So, I am saying if the unwashed masses must put up monuments and do art, then please contain it to already human-ed spaces. We don’t need to take over more and more of the planet that’s already sagging under our weight. We don’t need more junk junkin up the big house.

Or at the very least: LEAVE NO TRACE.

10 Likes

NIMBY.

1 Like

And not even the stuff made from local materials.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Can confirm

6 Likes

Gotta give that one props for making such a bold entrance. Now in real life in our household, that would be a wide open invitation for an evening of fun.

THERE IS NO DEBATE OR ARGUMENT! OR ELSE!

Oh yeah, how about plain old mockery and ridicule? BTW, your shoes are wet and I didn’t do it.

3 Likes

Not to insert myself into this dramatic debate (OK, to insert myself into this dramatic debate), but I will just point out that the concern was not the installation per se, but the rapidly-increasing number of onlookers, well outside the norms for the area, likely causing a significantly greater degree of damage, litter, etc. than the initial installation itself.

Heck, we don’t know how long it was there – could have been years, and it only caused damage once it was noticed, really. Heck, maybe this was the art project? Who the heck knows. Maybe it was OK to put it up, and OK to notice it, get some fun out of it, and then OK to take it down when it was past doing anything useful for the area in which it had managed to spend some nice relaxing down time…

11 Likes

I vote for outer space. Ain’t no way these were local boys.

5 Likes

Now they’re just messing with us.

4 Likes

How do you feel about Banksy?

4 Likes

You could make exactly the same argument about this

or this

or this

or this

or …

8 Likes
11 Likes

The 2020 version of “Fuck your burn”

5 Likes

Or maybe Burners?

Honestly, through work, I’d been hearing rumors of the monolith for quite some time. I am trying to get in touch with my buddy who first told me about it.

(I work making bags for rock climbers, geologists and other various desert rats.)

2 Likes

12 Likes

I’ll add to that:

Dug into the archaeological deposits in a Dacian fortress ← what also actually happened in Romania

2 Likes

Don’t tell the Dacians, but they dug their fortress into a fragile, endangered biome. Those feckin’ Vandals.

6 Likes