Utah's paper of record calls for Orrin Hatch to step down: "his utter lack of integrity that rises from his unquenchable thirst for power"

No different than he’s been for decades. So did the paper explain why it took so long for the realization to dawn on them what with being professionals and all?

1 Like

Big money will get around it by hiring politicians as consultants. George Osborne had four jobs before he decided not to run in this years general election.

One option is from The People’s Manifesto (I’ve already mentioned Mark Thomas once here, I might as well do it again)

13 If MPs Want A Second Job In Order To Gain A Greater Understanding Of Life Outside Government, Then Their Constituents Should Choose Which Job They Think Would Best Expand Their MP’s Horizons

SO IF MPs are to keep their other jobs, claiming it gives them greater experience of life, then we should be able to choose which job they get. If a democratic vote is good enough to vote them into one job, then it should be good enough to help them choose another. As the original proposer of this policy wrote: ‘They could end up as a non-executive director for an oil company, a classroom assistant or a prisoners’ plaything.’

Here are a few suggestions to be going on with:

Ken Clarke: Hod carrier. This is a kill or cure option.

Nick Clegg: Children’s entertainer and balloon modeller. Not dissimilar from his day job as leader of the Lib Dems.

Harriet Harman: Community Support Officer. She deserves it, they deserve her.

Peter Mandelson: Pizza delivery boy.

Jacqui Smith: Avon lady. She’d enjoy having a good nose around other people’s homes.

George Osborne: Dental nurse. Don’t know why, it just seems right. Perhaps because he’d suit those blue disposable gloves.

David Cameron: Holiday rep in Faliraki.

Gordon Brown: Traffic warden in Lambeth.

1 Like

It’s not, keep calling! Even if nobody else appreciates it, you can’t imagine how much it cheers me up to know that someone in his district is calling his office to complain!

(And I’ll keep calling Coons, Carper and Rochester. Solidarity!)

1 Like

So has anybody explained “excretory” to him…I sense headline potential.

3 Likes

It was misleading to me too. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Utahn here. The Tribune is the traditional “democrat party rag”. It is relatively representative of Salt Lake City, but not terribly representative of the state as a whole, which leans strongly republican. The “republican party rag” would be the Deseret News. Its views are more representative of the state as a whole.

The Tribune has been calling on Hatch to step down every election year for the last two decades, at least. It is amusing that Hatch’s original campaign slogan was, as mentioned in other comments was “What do you call a Senator who’s served in office for 18 years? You call him home.” Hatch has now served for far longer, and needs to be called home.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.