#VanLife is not what Instagram makes it out to be

My friend’s family had an early '80s Westy at their home in Germany and we used it for an epic camping vacation one year. Problem was, this particular vehicle was a diesel and was even more woefully underpowered than the standard version. Not to mention that the VW diesel engine in there was one of the worst engines ever made – apparently some deviant engineer at VW decided it was a great idea to convert a gasoline engine to a diesel…

Anyhow, Autobahn trips were always fun. We’d hang out with all the semis in the right lane going 20mph up a hill and then when our back seat spotter declared the left lane to be clear, we’d floor it and try to pass as many trucks as we could until a big black BMW or Mercedes whipped up on our tail, headlights flashing, when we’d merge back into the slow lane. The plume of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe was quite impressive, too.

1 Like

Good times! The hilariously bad performance really is good comedy. And there is a certain dramatic tension to always being on the edge of failure that keeps one from being lulled into complacency. A real ‘be here now’ enforcer.

2 Likes

Put Your Vans Up

Was that going mainly down a hill? :wink:

I’d like to see how that does against the Ford Transit XJ220. I don’t care who wins, I just want to see the race.

Then again, nothing is what Instagram makes it out to be. Ever.

Roger that!
(This should totally happen. On the Nürburgring Nordschleife.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.