Vegans sue Burger King over meat contamination of Impossible Burger Whopper

As a general call-out, if you eat meat and you’ve composed a “helpful but unasked-for” comment explaining to vegans how they should “reasonably” approach their diets and food choices, then, most likely, you’re being the sanctimonious one in that equation.

Helpful disclosure: I’m not a vegan

5 Likes

This sounds like a rather circumspect way of asking BK to please stop selling Impossible Whoppers. Installing separate cooking equipment across the entire chain is simply not going to happen. Period. The burger is still vegan even if it has rested for a couple of minutes on equipment where meat has also rested. If your choice of veganism is motivated by either animal welfare, health or environmental concerns, neither of these are affected whatsoever by meat also being cooked on the same equipment. Period.

People are being pretty glib about meat cross-contamination.

One of the main reasons potato salad is blamed for people getting sick isn’t the potato salad, but the fact that it is a non-meat dish that is easily cross-contaminated with meat. One of the big problems was that people were being careful with the meat itself, but because potato salad (or vegetables, or pasta, or whatever) wasn’t considered a meat dish, then people didn’t practice enough food safety.

Cross-contamination in restaurants killed (and still kills) people. Asking them to err on the side of keeping meat out of non-meat dishes makes more sense then telling them to assume meat cross-contamination is “probably fine”, when it has killed people in other scenarios.

2 Likes

My point was about false equivalence. You seemed to have missed it.

Sure, e-coli and listeria might kill you. They probably won’t, though, and whether the infected foodstuff is meat or not is irrelevant.

I was answering a post which answered a post that equated mild gastrointestinal discomfort with anaphylactic shock, which position undermines your credibility somewhat.

No. you’re making that up.

They were directly answering the question “Will cross-contamination make vegans physically sick?” They weren’t comparing it to “anaphylactic shock”.

My point is that unnoticed and unavoided meat cross contamination can make people physically sick, whether they’re vegan or not, and it’s been good practice to make sure restaurants keep meat from unintentionally cross-contaminating salads, let alone Impossible Burgers.

2 Likes

The issue is with beef though, no? I was under the impression that it’s not meat as such that is the problem re: sustainability/etc but mostly beef in particular.

In many cases, perhaps, but mostly I think it’s just plain old self-righteousness and related tribalism. I know a lot of hardcore vegetarians and vegans who still manage to be perfectly amazing about their diet; and I know some who do stuff like move to a separate table during dinner if a table-mate dares to eat meat, or start lecturing poor people at a charity event about how them not being able to afford meat is actually a great thing, or who put their carnivore pets on a vegan diet, etc. (The examples come from two former coworkers, they were absolutely insufferable - the one who kept leaving the table when someone else had meat for dinner quit because of the “non-inclusive atmosphere” in the office…)

2 Likes

Beef is by far the worst culprit as far as non-sustainability; the amount of resources needed to grow a cow vs. the number of people it feeds is very unbalanced. And they produce tons of methane. The Impossible Burger folks have said their ultimate goal is to create a plant-based steak that’s indiscernible from one from a cow.

5 Likes

In restaurant kitchens, we call that a broiler.

Yes, that’s what I thought. But in that case the goal is not eating less meat as such, but less beef. Impossible Burgers are fine and all (I think, I never had one) but I guess it would also help if more people started replacing beef with other meats in their diet. Because as far as I’m aware fake meats are just as highly processed and as such not in any way more healthy than processed meat, and I can’t imagine that producing them on a large scale would be significantly less unsustainable, just maybe on a different level.

I’m actually a bit surprised that producers of chicken/pork/etc. are not more active in trying to get people to switch from beef, but then I guess it’s likely a cultural thing. (In my corner of the world beef is not the cornerstone of meat dishes, sure people eat it and there are staple beef dishes, and burgers/etc. are popular, but in my experience when it comes to cooking most people will opt for chicken or pork most of the time.)

You mean like in flame broiled?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s essentially an indoor gas grill. My late teens & very early 20s involved a lot of burger slinging in Applebee’s grills, and learning the right angles of rotation for perfect grill marks. no cool burger conveyor belt tho :frowning:

2 Likes

…which is also a thing.

There are a lot of people in this thread who apparently don’t have food allergies. Cross-contamination is some serious shit.

3 Likes

With this whataboutery you make my point for me. I would be surprised if anybody in this thread carried an epi-pen because of that. Although some may now get themselves tested, of course.

I carry an epi-pen.

Not because of this, but because of other food allergies. I have gone into anaphylactic shock a few times after eating something that should have theoretically been safe but actually wasn’t. Like I said, cross-contamination is some serious shit. My own allergies have made me empathetic towards others’ allergies.

Although I assumed empathy was a basic human trait. Apparently I’m wrong about that :disappointed:

4 Likes

And a religious objection is different from a dietary preference because?

For many vegans, especially those that freak out about meat touching their food, veganism is essentially a religion and has disconnected from reason.

3 Likes

The problem is try to do a fast food with the lookalikes of meat based food but vegan or vegetarian: like kosher restaurants (besides the oldest cuisine in Rome is Jewish, because Jews arrived in Rome more than 2000 years ago).

I’m no way a vegan, but surely I’ll like a salad fast food, or “a Taste of Geona” with focaccia, pisciadela, and farinata .

People generalizing about sanctimonious vegans have a big unknown unknown problem. They don’t seem to realize that they might have met a large number of completely un-sanctimonious vegans and they never knew those people were vegans. Of course your mental example of a vegan is a person who talks about being vegan. Just like your mental example of someone who is into BDSM is someone who talks about being in BDSM and your mental example of a white supremacist is someone who talks about being a white supremacist. But the world is full of vegans, BDSM enthusiasts and white supremacists who don’t feel the need to tell you about it and they are missing from your dataset.

On top of that, there are also plenty of sanctimonious meat eaters but of course they only become sanctimonious when someone else brings up their diet. Even if it is the case that vegans are more likely to be sanctimonious than meat eaters (which I’ll admit is possible since people who have made a choice are probably more committed to that choice than people who went with the default) there are a lot more meat eaters than vegans, and in any given room it’s more likely there is a sanctimonious meat eater than any vegans at all.

7 Likes

Question is why people doesn’t like vegetables.
Really: to eat less meat one could simply buy carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplants and pumpkin. And make a ratatouille. Or buy mushrooms and maize flour and make polenta with mushrooms…

Open a recipe book and get ideas.

1 Like

One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.

Taste and evolution. Especially with children, original taste bud programming is to desire the high-protein and high-fat and high-energy foodstuffs. Which meant wanting the yummy stuff the grownups would keep for themselves if you didn’t have the propensity to crave it yourself, and want to whine until you got some. And then tastes change as dietary needs change, sugars and fats are not so important, best let the young’uns have them as you go for the stuff that gives you the fibre and missing vitamins that your body isn’t reliably making any more…

Millions of years of hominid evolution, in other words.

3 Likes