Velcro doesn't want you to call it 'velcro' anymore

The intentional stance is useful to take for any complicated system where the individual components don’t reveal much about the aggregate behavior. Corporations act like they have goals, desires, etc. And they certainly survive and fail. The ones that survive have indeed been selected for traits in much the same manner as natural selection (though of course the memetic elements of selection are far more flexible and slippery than DNA).

Is he/she hairy, with hook and loops?

1 Like

Excuse me while I wipe away my tears with a kleenex.

2 Likes

Please do not Lego my Eggo. TIA.

1 Like

Good luck with that! It didn’t work so well when Adobe asked to not using photoshop as a verb few years ago…

1 Like

They C&D’d me for saying that Velket tourniquets were made with Velcro closures. So I changed to “hook and loop” but what the hell??? It is actual Velcro-brand Velcro made by the Velcro coporation in its Velcro factories, and the tourniquets are made under an agreement between Propper and Velcro. They don’t want people to refer to their branded products by the brand name? Bizarro world.

Really they’re victims of their own success. The trademark office should not put them in this jam. They’ve always been Velcro corporation; if the whole world now refers to the product they invented by their brand name, that’s not their fault. The Patent office has put them in such a weird position that they can’t use their own brand name if they want to be able to stop other companies from using it. That makes it seem like the brand is now useless.

What’s that…? What did you say…?

Suppose it’s high time I clean the wax out of my ears with these handy dandy Q-tips®.

1 Like

Be prepared for a legal suit.

2 Likes

There was an off-brand in Eastern-ish Canada when I was growing up called ‘Scotch Buy’. This was a bit before true No-Name stuff came out. These were cheaper versions of name-brand products… soup, other tinned and dry foods, etc.

If there’s anything more annoying that the ‘purity’ prescriptivists, it’s the merc prescriptivists.

Band-Aids for bandages, Pampers for diapers, kleenex for tissue, rollerblades for inline skates - I hate to break it to the ‘legal geniuses’ at VELCRO®, but copyrights and licensed trademarks only prevent other companies from making money off their brand.

They don’t control the public lexicon, and there’s no way to force the general masses to call something by the name they’d most prefer.

See the pointless gif/jif “debate.”

2 Likes

I haven’t been scanning very closely, but there’s been no mention of Jell-O yet?

2 Likes

I’m afraid their lawyers don’t know what a noun is though.

Whoever calls this “hook and loop” must have really drunk the Kool-aid.

3 Likes

It’s Gif ]:

2 Likes

That’s my favorite Stereolab album!

1 Like

I think ebay lets VeRO companies go in and directly yank any listing that they feel like.

Naturally Scientology was on the cutting edge of abuse of this.

Scientology abuses eBay’s VeRO program to practice religious, price discrimination February 18, 2008, Scott Pilutik

With a hard g, yes.

2 Likes

Fuck these greedy fucks. I didn’t call it velcro before but now I’m going to. They were happy for everyone to call it velcro when they thought it benefitted them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.