WTF? Procter & Gamble files trademark for 'WTF' 'LOL' 'NBD' and 'FML'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/wtf-procter-gamble-files-tr.html

2 Likes

links are dead to the broke-ass government website.

This is just a bunch of corporate nonsense from a company that no longer makes real products, just buying companies and blogs that talk about products all day. Hey, does P&G also own boingboing?

3 Likes

Nothing to see here, y’all. Given that trade marks are specific to a domain of trade, this is totally reasonable.

The words “tide” “dawn” “cascade” “finish” and “sunlight” have existed for some time before the respective branded cleaning products, and are all totally valid trademarks in the specific domain of names of cleaning products.

Apples have been called apples for longer than both Apple computers and Apple records, and both are totally valid trademarks.

16 Likes

So a cleaning product called Worthless Toilet Freshener and detergent called Leaves Only Lint? :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Late stage capitalism

4 Likes

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. They can’t copyright the international alphabet.

7 Likes

Exactly this. I used to do marketing with P&G. This is them making themselves the only company that can use those acronyms on, specifically, liquid soap, dishwasher detergent, surface cleaners, and air fresheners so that their competition can’t rip off their ads and marketing. Every company does this kind of product-specific trademarking all the time.

9 Likes

P&G: ORLY? Here, hold my beer …

5 Likes

FML?

Full Metal Lalchemist? I’m baffled by that one.

But I will pose a question: is there any product you would buy if it was called WTF?

2 Likes

Fuck My Life.
Not sure why they’d want to use that in Mr Clean or Tide commercials, but I’m glad I don’t work with them anymore.

14 Likes

It does seem better suited for a brand of condoms, doesn’t it.

10 Likes

It appears that P&G’s marketing folks are afraid that yes, you would buy WTF dish soap. As in “WTF did this dish soap just do to my hands!” You see? Totally obvious marketing gambit.

4 Likes

I have a good one for P&G.

GFY (Go Fuck Yourself)

14 Likes

I’m sure that this will work out better for them than the campaign of satanist slanders against their Man in the Moon and Stars logo by some Amway folks.

/popcorn

11 Likes

BBPMF

Bring Back Pringles Mother F’krs

3 Likes

Pringles (dried potato-like paste) never went anywhere; they still sell them.

9 Likes

WTF! They’ll have to fight me for it!

3 Likes

“These stains will never come out, oh FML!”
“Have you tried this?”
“WTF is that?”
“Exactly! WTF contains Antioxidants™ which get the stains out like NBD!”
“Wow! WTF. Thanks!”

(share prices go up 20%)

11 Likes

MPG

Make Pringles Great

(They always hurt the corners of my mouth)

5 Likes

My kid likes them; but I used to date someone who worked at ‘Proctor & God,’ as they call it internally - once he told me how they were made, I lost all interest in ever consuming any ever again.

8 Likes