Venomous scorpions invade urban Brazil

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/venomous-scorpions-invade-urba.html

1 Like

swarms of venomous scorpions

That is NOT a line you ever want to read or hear. Straight out of an old school Saturday afternoon black & white creature double feature horror flick.

4 Likes

It won’t last. All it means is that the scorpions’ rural habitat had been destroyed and they’ve been pushed into the city. With the worldwide collapse in insect populations, their food source is almost gone, and they’ll pretty much die out in a year or so.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Now that’s not a nice way to describe the ruling party, even in a hard-right autocracy.

7 Likes

Pfft, no biggie. Just release a bunch of Bolivian Tree Lizards to eat them.

But, you say, what happens when we’re overrun by lizards? No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They’ll wipe out the lizards.

What if the snakes are even worse? In that case, there is a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

But then we’re stuck with gorillas, right. No, that’s the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

6 Likes

I am no biologist but I’m pretty sure scorpions aren’t bugs.

1 Like

Unless they adapt to living off of the endemic cockroaches/ants which have adapted to live in human housing. Or to feed off human flesh…

2 Likes

If there’s a legitimate ecological niche they can fill in urban areas i don’t see them going away. The only barrier would be their ability to adapt fast enough to pesticides and contamination from urban areas, along with having steady access to prey.

1 Like

Based on this section:

Worse yet, the species terrorizing Brazilians is the highly dangerous yellow scorpion, or Tityus serrulatus . It reproduces through the miracle of parthenogenesis, meaning a female scorpion simply generates copies of herself twice a year — no male participation required.

I’m going to assume that the hard right autocracy isn’t in favor of these particular scorpions. Parthenogenesis is calculated to squick team Family Values on essentially all counts except birth rate.

3 Likes

Don’t be ashamed to scream - it helps to relieve the tension.

with their exoskeleton, they definitely are hardware.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.