Very stable genius claims hammers kill more people than guns, dislikes it when Good Liars corrects him

The new American SWAT team:

news train GIF by NowThis

4 Likes

Or dildos.

5 Likes

Maybe they just removed that one Maxwell fella McCartney tried to warn us about as being a statistical outlier.

4 Likes

I saw some Americans pointing to the “epidemic of knife crime” in the UK recently, opining, weirdly, that if the British only had guns, they could protect themselves… from knives. The increased knife crime was still lower than in the US, per capita, and then, of course, the US has gun crime on top of that.

Also the US does have a bit of a “knife culture” to go with our gun culture. Allowing all sorts of “combat” knives to be sold, carrying knives around more casually than other developed nations… the whole “frontier myth” that influences the culture has a lot of aspects. I always found it somewhat absurd that most of the US disallows carrying swords, but is fine with AR-15s - but swords just aren’t part of that frontier myth.

8 Likes

I like to keep repeating my brother-in-law’s excellent quote:

16 Likes

Intelligent people wonder if they’re smart. Dumb people are certain they are.

6 Likes

Oh, I don’t wonder.

8 Likes

“I have a student in my class that keeps hitting other kids with a hammer over and over. I can’t get anything done and the other kids are hurt and they hate it!”

“Have you tried taking the hammer away from that student?”

“No, no, it’s not the hammer’s fault. Everyone knows that kids have the right to have hammers! I want to buy a bunch of hammers and give them to all the other students, and then no one will ever have problems with hammers again!”

More hammers will definitely fix everything for sure.

19 Likes

Hammers more dangerous than guns? Czernobog approves this message.

5 Likes

Mea culpa. I read her quote too quick. She got her talking point confused, where RIFLES kill less people per year than blunt objects some years. She is wrong when saying blunt objects kill more people than ALL guns.

Fixed post.

1 Like

Even that is incredibly unlikely since the #2 killer on the list is “firearms: type not specified.” Surely a non-trivial number of those were rifles as well.

There is no interpretation of the data in which the number of people killed by hammers (which make up just a subset of that “blunt object” category) gets anywhere near the number of people killed by rifles, let alone the number of people killed by all types of guns combined.

8 Likes

I recently learned, that Texas restricts the number of dildoes you are allowed

Article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/31/why-did-the-doctor-ask-if-we-have-a-gun-in-the-house-at-my-toddlers-check-up-because-this-is-america

“… and where the state of Texas restricts dildo ownership (it’s illegal to own more than six dildos)…”

4 Likes

What if you modify your seventh dildo to shoot bullets?

6 Likes

That was okay, though - the guy who got shot later apologized to Cheney.

6 Likes

Ah, but if a bullet is a blunt object - and it is not sharp like a knife, so it’s blunt, right? - then bullets are a subset of blunt objects, so all the bullets that killed would be a subset of the blunt objects that killed, see?

They can’t even be wrong in an interesting way, can they?

1 Like

God help us when robots come premounted with automatic weapons.

science fiction 80s GIF

4 Likes

That day is coming very quickly. Autonomous armed drones are absolutely on the drawing board, if not in the field quite yet.

4 Likes

Facts violate his 2nd Amendment rights! /s

2 Likes

Reframe the narrative:
“a well regulated militia walked into a school and shot children and teachers”, “a well regulated militia shot people in a convenience store” etc.

5 Likes

I’m just waiting for the first American to claim they have a constitutional right to own a military style autonomous killing drone.

2 Likes