VHS horror movies are corrupting our children! A "20/20 Special Report" from 1987

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/03/vhs-horror-movies-are-corrupti.html

3 Likes

Vyvyan “It’s a video nasty!

14 Likes

Pfft. They prepared us for the current shitshow, everything’s fine, we’re coping, right?

14 Likes

Ahh. The moral panics of the mid 80s. I don’t miss them.

4 Likes

Passing woman: Do you dig graves?
Neil: Yeah, they’re all right.

I thought I recognized the set that The Damned where performing on!

8 Likes

12 Likes

The line early on, “It’s almost always a female victim, and very frequently in a sexual context”. This is a fairly contemporary criticism of horror movies, as being problematic.

So… How did the kids turn out from this interview? Looks like a lot are on Linkedin. Doing fine, seems like.

1 Like

And you can probably find some of them here.

7 Likes

Vyvyan: “YES WE HAVE A VID-EE-OOO!!”

10 Likes

I’m just shocked… that it wasn’t John Stossel.

5 Likes

I love how they ask “…but are they harmless?” while showing a decapitation. (0:26)

I’m thinking it was ratings week.

1 Like

I used to go to my buddy’s house every weekend back in 1984 (he had a VCR!) and we would rent the crappiest-looking horror movie from Mostly Video. The schlockier the cover, the better.

3 Likes

Crap, I didn’t realize horror movies were so terrible! We must have turned into a society of nothing but violent offenders in the past thirty three years!

Oh. Never mind. Carry on.

Note: not a fan of horror movies myself, but if that’s your kick, you go right on and enjoy yourself.

4 Likes

Yep, including Linnea’s Quigley’s Horror Workout (she’s featured in the 20/20 program).

1 Like

I wish “Night School” had been good enough to corrupt me; that movie sucked and even 9-year old me realized I wasted an opportunity to see illicit material on something that wasn’t worth it. Thanks for the memories though.

1 Like

Maybe all those horror movies scared people straight?

2 Likes

Totally, completely, and utterly…gave me my love horror movies for the rest of my life. My Dad never paid attention (or just didn’t care) about the movies I would pick at the “video store”. So of course I would pick titles like “Chopping Mall”. God bless 80’s horror.

1 Like

Chopping Mall! “Thank you. Have a nice day.”

1 Like

Actually, that chart makes me wonder if there’s a correlation between atmospheric lead and schlocky horror videos, much like there is between lead and violence…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.