Video about Pepsi's deadly "Number Fever" campaign

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/15/video-about-pepsis-deadly-number-fever-campaign.html

Between this and guy who actually tried to redeem the requisite number of Pepsi points for a fighter jet, they not seem to have had a good time with ad campaigns in the 90s…

10 Likes

If Coke can turn an apparent failure into a huge victory (the rollout of “New Coke” combined with the subsequent return of “Classic Coke”) then it stands to reason that Pepsi can turn a huge success into an embarrassing failure.

And I’m not choosing sides in the Cola Wars here, they’re both just fancy sugar water to me.

3 Likes

This story from the 90s has a distinctly 2020 “there’s no way this is real” feel to it. They were ahead of their time, I guess.

1 Like

I thought the deaths would be attributed to excess Pepsi consumption until I rtfa.

4 Likes

Pepsi deployed their naval forces and restored order. Philippine strongman Duterte has claimed that Pepsi’s brutal military efficiency inspired his political career.

1 Like

A lot of things can be deadly in the Philippines. For example, singing “My Way” at a karaoke bar.

7 Likes

Damn. I’d hate to see how they handle a rickroll.

7 Likes

Dear lord. Imagine what that would have done to the economy. I don’t know how much the claimants were supposed to get if they won (tldw), but that’s a lot of wealth distribution.

Was that their choice or Pepsi’s?

I’d suspect that even Pepsi is a more nutritious way to start your day.

3 Likes

“Rock and roll and cola wars, I can’t take it anymore” -William Joel

3 Likes

All I wanted was a Pepsi cap. just one Pepsi cap.

4 Likes

Is boingboing deciding that recycling really old, already covered stories is something new?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.