Video: Bringing back extinct species

[Permalink]

Oh sure, itā€™s mammoths today - but pretty soon weā€™ll all be fleeing from saber-toothed tigers.

3 Likes

We so limit the space for existing animals now, and give them such little consideration. Although itā€™s an interesting scientific idea, I wonder how ethical it really is in the context of how people see themselves as the only important living beings.

1 Like

Iā€™m for the passenger pigeon, as there is an ecological niche, and a need, for such a creature. The woolly mammoth, mmm, errr, I dunno. With elephants already on endangered lists, that one doesnā€™t seem like such a good idea. I mean, we can learn something from ā€œJurassic Parkā€, canā€™t we? As in ā€œonly bring back speciesā€™ whose butts we can kickā€?

2 Likes

Mid-90ā€™s I believe there was a push to introduce the elephant into the American midwest in order to bring back megafauna like the bison and, historically, like the mammoth. So there is, technically, an ecological niche in terms of the biology of the area, but the room? Maybe not so much.

1 Like

Letā€™s get robust protections and restoration of habitat for threatened and endangered species going, and then weā€™ll talk.

2 Likes

Good idea? I donā€™t know but DO IT. I want pet dinosaurs the size of small dogs and as intelligent as parrots. In the mean time I would settle for some wooly mammoth steaks.

4 Likes

Honestly I donā€™t quite understand the ethical question here. If we were talking about an intelligent, self-aware species like the neanderthal, then I could understand the debate. But, for example, if we brought back a couple woolly mammoths, what would be the big deal? Iā€™m questioning sincerely, enlighten me. -Edit- I mean, I guess I could read the articles and links, but if anyone wanted to respond anyway, that would be cool.

There must be some room in Siberia or thereabouts. Iā€™m pretty sure mammoths fall squarely within the ā€œanimals whose butts we can kick if we have toā€ category, considering our ancestors took them down with little more than pointy sticks.

2 Likes

What if mammoths are incredibly efficient methane producers and were responsible for ending the ice age with their byproductsā€¦
If we are going to bring back prehistoric creatures, I vote for Sophia Loren from One Million Years B.C. (a good proof of concept since we can get a living tissue sample).

2 Likes

That was then. Mammothā€™s would now have access to modern weaponry, which would allow them to turn into sub-zero machine gun platforms.

The other side of the coin would of course be that mammoth is delicious, and we would get to eat them into extinction all over again.

4 Likes

Do we really need the wool that much, or is this a niche market thing?

2 Likes

If thereā€™s a reason to buy more guns then America is all for it.

3 Likes

According to many researchers who have observed them, elephants lead very emotionally rich lives and demonstrate social attachment behaviors that appear to be every bit as genuine as those in great apes (that includes us!).

Theyā€™re also pretty good painters.

The current evidence strongly suggests that elephants actually are self-aware. That statement comes straight from a well-respected veteran researcher in animal cognition, and heā€™s not alone in his position. I had the opportunity to take one of his classes and I got the impression that heā€™s pretty conservative about these sort of things, so to hear him say that definitely grabbed my attention.

Given that elephants are descendants of wooly mammoths, itā€™s plausible that their wooly ancestors would have similar consciousness and social behavior. Hence, the ethical concern.

1 Like

Pretty sure technology has changed enough since prehistoric times to make mammoth hunting a much easier task should we ever need toā€¦

(on the list of things you couldnā€™t pay me to shoot)[both this gun and mammoths]

1 Like

Not quite.

5 Likes

I think the best and most evil use of this technology would be to bring humans back long after weā€™re extinct. Set up a time capsule to 3D print a human when the container has detected that the next ice/ash/petal age has passed then out pops some new dudes to ruin our rock again. I wonder how many people are thinking small time about this, like 3D print resurrecting Walt Disneys or Hitlers.

Oh yeah, I vote that we make Jurassic Park a reality if we can even though the failure of itā€™s security is inevitable.

The scale of the hunting was incredible: hereā€™s an introduction to the kind of gun that was used to shoot passenger pigeons and waterfowl. They could fire over 1 pound of shotgun pellets at one time and take down 50 birds in one shot.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true, I did neglect that elephants, and possibly mammoths, are a little more advanced on the emotional level. But Iā€™m not convinced thatā€™s the main ethical reasons theyā€™re talking about here. And weā€™re talking about the passenger pigeon as well. Sometimes it seems the conversation centers around ā€˜if they went extinct once, then itā€™s for a reason, and it would be unethical to try and bring them back, because they went extinct for a reason.ā€™

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. The way they discussed wooly mammoths in the short feature made it sound like they were ancestors. I shouldā€™ve been curious enough to research that myself. And now that Iā€™ve done just that, Iā€™ve learned something else new: pachyderms? Not a monophyletic groupā€” poly, in fact.