Video of 10 hours of white noise has 5 copyright claims

A few milliseconds here, a few milliseconds there, and the next thing you know you are a hardened criminal. It’s a slippery slope, covered in plastic sheeting, liberally coated in lard, with a bed of nails at the bottom. Traverse it at great peril, because you certainly have been warned.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting and I suspect, highly exploitable notion.

Why are we just talking about white noise? What about colored noise and black noise? All noises matter!

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about systematically hunting ContentID for exploits on the assumption of particular flaws of convenience all day!

2 Likes

Get to it!

Or is this going to be Locked Safe 2.0?

2 Likes

Try Sleep Research Facility’s Dead Weather Machine. One of my favourite Sleepytime ambient albums.

1 Like

Any true white noise fan goes for FLAC.

2 Likes

Indeed — one could maybe copyright any numerical sequence of sufficient length and then find it in just about any digital work.

And at the other end of white noise (amongst other noise), I have used this as an alarm to wake me up in the past.

3 Likes

Benoit Pioulard’s ambient works are also quite effective.

I wonder if a minute-log “sample” could fall under fair use/dealing…

whys it gotta be white?!?

‘Cos it isn’t pink noise.

1 Like

If I created a silent track, and Batt or Cage’s estate were offended that I was infringing on “their” work of silent tracks, I wouldn’t use fair use as a defense, since that would be implying that I was genuinely using their work (silence).

Batt listed Cage as a co-author, and Cage had actually created a silent track earlier in his career. If I write a novel about a monster that looks like a clown, I’m fine. But if I credit Stephen King as a co-author, “as a joke”, I’m totally boned, because there’s evidence from King’s earlier work that he has written about a monster who looks like a clown. There’s no claiming fair use at all if you’ve explicitly listed someone as an author or co-author.

3 Likes

Frankly, my post was a slight joke about the notion of sampling silence.

And, yes, I’m sure no matter the size of the sample, crediting the sample source as a co-author is bound to screw any fair use argument.

I suppose technically it doesn’t affect any fair use argument about the original work, because that is not affected by whether you accept the original author’s copyright or not.

It would presumably give the “co-author” a claim for an account of any profits generated by the new work though and a half share of any such profits.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.