Video of Coney Island rides from the 1930s and 1940s that would never fly today

With some sites, their native format is even worse: JSON that gets decoded and unpacked by Javascript that’s usually from a different site. All to solve problems already solved by HTML5.

There was a Wild Mouse at Fun Fair Park in Baton Rouge when I was a kid there in the 1970s. Scariest roller coaster I’ve ever ridden, to this day. And I like roller coasters.

1 Like

How do the multiple rotating disks not catch hair or clothing. (Note to self: do not google “whole scalp avulsion” ever again.)

It seems that this is not an amusement park machine; this is, as shown in the film, a malfunctioning death machine.

2 Likes

There is a Wild Mouse rollercoaster over here as well, I saw it in Hamburg and Düsseldorf. It also starred in a movie recently.

1 Like

If you still want potentially dangerous rides, look to water slide parks. The rides are pretty lightly regulated. We even had one near Kansas City that decapitated a kid a couple of years ago. They tore it down, but there’s still plenty of murder rides around, if you look hard enough.

I apparently am not quite as nostalgic for the lack of safety regulations of the days of yesteryear as some are. Then again, I refused to even get on a roller coaster for about a decade, so take with a grain of salt.

1 Like

When I was 6 I lived in Houston Texas. My dad had been trying to get me to go on a roller coaster ride there. A few weeks before we were to move away I mustered the courage to go, feeling it was now or never. The Saturday we were planning to go, while eating breakfast, my dad opened the paper. Something had gone wrong and some of the people in one of the cars on that roller coaster had been thrown from the car the day before and died. Big front page spread. It took until I was 24 or so to get over that when I took my kids to Disneyland to finally ride my first roller coaster.

3 Likes

I was stuck on the Sky Ride for several minutes over the State Fair of Texas midway in October 1979 (school band trip). Days later (my memory of it was one day later but it may have been one week) this happened:

http://www.gendisasters.com/texas/18751/dallas-tx-state-fair-sky-ride-crash-oct-1979

When we took the gondola at the San Diego Zoo a couple of years ago I thought it’s be OK but I was not happy at all.

1 Like

Lakeside Amusement Park here in Colorado has a Wild Mouse (renamed Wild Chipmunk to give it a western feel), and it’s about the only ride I never go on. It seems deliberately designed to give you whiplash. The only ride that I’ve been on that’s more painful is the Black Dragon at Tivoli in Copenhagen, which seemed to be designed to emulate a car crash.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.