How to keep your kid from falling out of a chairlift in 1965

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/10/how-to-keep-your-kid-from-fall.html

5 Likes

Mom’s arm, the original seat-belt.

30 Likes

Safety is job number one.

5 Likes

Bile…rising…

4 Likes

The guy in the next chair up from them is turned backwards and shooting the image.

20 Likes

Bar? Hell, I do this with my kid now. The bar is on those fancy lifts at those fancy resorts.

6 Likes

No lawyers in 1965?

3 Likes

When I was about 13 my family went skiing at Snowbird. They put me in/permitted me to go in a chairlift by myself, which I believe did not have a bar. Suddenly the lift stopped, causing my chair to sway back and forth. With my nylon ski pants on I slid forward so that my butt was barely still on the edge of the chair and I was barely able to pull myself back on. The chair was waaay up there. To this day, many many years later, I still scare myself thinking about it.

26 Likes

This is the original form of Extreme Skiing!

2 Likes

This appears to be the exact opposite of those log flume photos they now try to sell you.

3 Likes

Fuck that shit. I could barely ride the current ski lifts with out freaking out.

7 Likes

back in my day…

10 Likes

So, ya’ need ta’ dangle your kid off there to have something to rest your feet on?

1 Like

They both seem quite content and happy.

5 Likes

I fell off one when I was about that same age. It was early morning and there was plenty of frost on the seat. I just slipped right off when the seat did an ever-so-slight swaying motion. Luckily it wasn’t high off the ground at that point and there was plenty of fluffy stuff under me.

11 Likes

Why TF are there no seat belts or a rope for fucks sake

3 Likes

And this is why humanity died out in the 1960s and is now extinct.

20 Likes

HOAAAAARK!

1 Like

0_640_480

It is still a thing, this is Loveland Ski Area in Colorado, no bars, living life on the edge.

10 Likes

The real key to keeping your kid on the ski-lift is fear, so they white-knuckle clutch at the armrest the entire trip.

6 Likes