A NYC subway ride to Coney Island in 1987

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/a-nyc-subway-ride-to-coney-isl.html

3 Likes

D.J.: Be lookin’ good, Warriors. All the way back to Coney. Ya hear me, babies? Good. Re-e-al good. Adios.

17 Likes

4 Likes

Dirt, check.
Garbage, check.
Cigarettes? What no smokers?
Beverly Hills Cop 2 (or was it 3?) And the Untouchables playing at Loews.
Fun ride, wonder what happened to them all.

4 Likes

Man, I love that ride. The D train (iirc) is elevated most of the way there and at a few stops you have a pretty great view of the Statue of Liberty.

5 Likes

15 Likes

no shoes, no shirt, no service came into effect the next day

3 Likes

wonder what that was shot with. 8mm tape cassettes were just hitting and blowing away VHS cameras, and the lame micro VHS cameras.

2 Likes

Ha! Grew up in Bayridge in the early 80’s. This stuff will never get old.

1 Like
7 Likes

Aside from the graffiti (which honestly makes the world more interesting more than it does disrty) and a few newspaper on the ground, it doesn’t look that bad. I’ve seen plenty worse piles of food garbage, dirty benches and strange pools of unknown liquid on the subways in the ;ate 90s/00s when it was supposedly “cleaner” in the post-Giuliani era.

5 Likes

Is that an extremely coked up Michael Musto?

While I’ve always been concerned about gentrification and Manhattan being turned into a playground for the ultra-wealthy, as a mass transit geek I’m glad that the graffiti and garbage and crime was mostly gone when I moved there in the 1990s.

3 Likes

i grew up in flushing, but in the 80s dated a girl from brooklyn. took the subway from main street, changed in manhattan, and rode all the way out to cortelyou road. long ride. at all hours. never even noticed how filthy the trains were. it was what it was! don’t ride in the last car was the only advice i always followed. nowhere to go if you got jumped. those were the days.

4 Likes

One silver lining regarding the decline of newspapers is that it has helped cut down the litter.

Holy friggin’ hell. You do not even KNOW how many times that scene was played out in our living room.

CAN YOU DIG IT?

3 Likes

Indeed, I was wondering too if the graffiti is what is actually considered filthy here.

Coney Island Of The Mind

1 Like

Definitely the 80s. Very short shorts… and not just when heading for the beach. (Being from there, I’d bet the video was taken on a muggy day; typical for NYC in the Summer.)