This is the subway in New York

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/17/this-is-the-subway-in-new-york.html

7 Likes

hahaha_statler_and_waldorf_muppets

6 Likes

“Sorry, lady, I got the last seat on the car on top of this scooter some dickhead left behind.”

14 Likes

Is it cheaper to ride the subway than to buy…mmmm, let’s say a gallon of gasoline in NYC?

I really don’t know. I haven’t visited since 2001.

5 Likes

BREAKING: There is an asshole in New York City.

15 Likes

What a slacker. He could have gone for NYC Dickhead of the Month by riding the Vespa through the subway cars between stations, blocking a new door every time.

4 Likes

What? Like trains don’t have multiple doors. (/s)

2 Likes

And who can forget this other classic New York scene:

God, I wish I could live in NY someday :pensive:

7 Likes

He seemed nice. I mean c’mon! He wasn’t revving the hell out of his ICE machine.

VVVrooommm vvvvrrrOOOOOOOMMMM! Then he accidentally engages the clutch and the thing shoots up the length of the car until Mssr Dick Heed splats into the front of the car like a cartoon character, slowly sliding down the glass and metal until he’s a crumpled mess on the floor of the subway car.

The lady’s exasperated gesture is like ‘really? now THIS?’

5 Likes

The unbridled displays of rage are one of its charms. One of my many fond memories from my time living there was watching one large man wielding a wooden chair leg chasing another down the pavement. But angry and frustrated intellectuals like the fellow in that video are awesome.

2 Likes

Why did you stopped living there, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

I loved it for the first seven years, but then the dotcom crash happened, followed the next year by 9/11. I was able to hold out another couple of years but the work had dried up. You won’t be surprised to hear that NYC is a great place to live when your cash flow is strong and steady but absolutely unforgiving when it’s not.

My circumstances are different now and I plan to start spending a couple of months a year there in the future. It’s not for everyone but I genuinely miss it.

10 Likes

I remember travel writer Paul Theroux writing about the subway in the 1980’s (some highlights here). Among other things, he writes of the terrible moment when the doors close and you realize you have a screamer in your car.

4 Likes

That woman’s understated gesture of annoyance is soooooo good. That’s way more “NewYork” than just the simple fact of a guy on a scooter on the 2.

5 Likes

Maybe he has some involvement with the opera world? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY40J-6G4AM

Pack eight and a half million people, most of them Americans, into 10,000 of them per square kilometer, and the jackass rate will skyrocket. In my experience, most New Yorkers are perfectly decent human beings, albeit they seem a little jaded from being packed in like sardines.

6 Likes

Can anyone read lips? Please tell me she said “dickhead”.

4 Likes

Me too! In case I go back before October (when the card expires).

The subway’s the highlight for my son when we go to NYC. Really, for him, it’s the purpose of the whole trip. Central Park? Pfft. Brooklyn Bridge? Nah. Coney Island? Well, we’d take the subway there, so sure, why not? Wife & kids have never even been up the Empire State Bldg.

4 Likes

It kind of reminded me of the Buddy Rich tour bus tape.

But he lost me at Grateful Dead. (ducks)

1 Like

I thought he was going to be riding it up and down inside the car. I am disappointed.

5 Likes