Video series about the weird mystery of Cicada 3301

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/video-series-about-the-weird-m.html

3 Likes

Ahh, so this is what that plot stuff from Season 2 of “The OA” was from.

4 Likes

Oh, no, I fell down that particular rabbit hole once before. I’m not doing that again. I didn’t sleep well for a week.

2 Likes

I was about to say the same thing, but about Season 4 ep 2 of “Person of Interest”

3 Likes

Reminds me of THE BEAST, the ARG mystery game tied to the A.I. movie.

1 Like

At 3:12 in the video the timer on the coffee machine says 10:33. I may now have to watch this video backwards.

5 Likes

This is so interesting.
I hadn’t heard of this before, and it makes me feel like the adage of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it” applies here…intellectually.

2 Likes

Sort of like a masturbatory guitar solo for academics.

They state their purpose is something greater than just the devious puzzles, but the guy who got inducted has only been put to work doing more puzzles?

What ever happened to that book about the golden horse/unicorn…(can’t remember) with pictures poems and puzzles.

Prediction: when they get to the final end of the Cicada puzzle it’ll just be a Rick Roll and/or Goatse.

4 Likes

I think this is the one you’re thinking of. It’s an interesting read, and is responsible, albeit somewhat indirectly, for the “worst video-game of all time” according to Stuart Ashen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvi-fwrfIY)

4 Likes

If it was a golden horse you remember, then you may be thinking of the one I remember:

2 Likes

I’m still working on this one.

4 Likes

In 1942 the Daily Telegraph hosted a competition where a cryptic crossword was to be solved within 12 minutes. Winners were approached by the military and some were recruited to work at Bletchley Park, as these individuals were thought to have strong lateral thinking skills, important for codebreaking.

Thank you for sending me down this rabbit hole… so to speak.

As for the video series the post is about, I already know it’s going to be beyond me but I look forward to watching it unwind.

(edit) Watching the video about Hareraiser, and it reminded me of the Atari 2600 incomplete series Swordquest.

1 Like

I have a hunch about it’s origins, but in the spirit of the mystery I won’t go further than that.

1 Like

Then i scared that crap out of people with 3311 lol

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.