Vintage CGI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/vintage-cgi.html

5 Likes

I like that the green band is perfectly aligned with the notch on the floppy disk. It’s the attention to the little things…

3 Likes

Star Rider was quite beautiful.

5 Likes

Extra karma points for bringing us this digital awesomeness by analog VHS.

3 Likes

How were Laserdisk games played? I remember renting one once so we could watch Cannonball Run (!), but I don’t remember any I/O devices.

2 Likes

More importantly, is the soundtrack available?

3 Likes

Here’s the only way I remember it:

3 Likes

‘SPACE MOTORCYCLES’

FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT

:smile:

3 Likes

According the the Dead Media Archive at NYU (a delightful rabbit-hole, though itself a dead website), it basically used the laserdisc’s ability to skip ahead to other scenes or tracks resulting in choose-your-own-adventure type gameplay:

“The instant-seeking functionality of Laserdiscs allowed developers to create interactive video games for LD players. The most popular LD game was Dragon’s Lair and it used pre-recorded animated scenes to tell a story. A user would use a remote or joystick to command the story to move forward and make decision for the on-screen characters. Gameplay was similar to current RPGs.”

2 Likes

I’ve never played that game, but it looks to me like the road would have been overlaid with three space-cycle renderings. You, the player, had the middle one and had to opperate a steering wheel to stay in your lane and avoid the other two bikes. That’s my guess. A game like that could make great use of an LD video.

1 Like

Aha, so some models did have different control options.

I never used a laserdisc. Did they have menus, and the controller was just for navigating those?

1 Like

I don’t remember. My only interaction was the one time we rented one and when I found a torrent of the Japanese Laserdisc copy of Star Wars. Supposedly the only digital transfer version before Lucas started mucking about with it (but after the addition of “Episode IV” in the titles).

1 Like

The remote could be used as a crude input device. Keep in mind a control “input” would just switch tracks.

Nope and video was actually analog.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.