Vintage footage of drag racing legend Shirley Muldowney

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/23/vintage-footage-of-drag-racing.html

2 Likes

“Hungry for stink”

Genius!

1 Like

Arg! What was that Negativland track that mentioned Muldowney? “They call her Cha-Cha!”

1 Like

“What’s a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?”

“Winning.”

Or something to that effect.

3 Likes

She sounds as badass as Michèle Mouton

2 Likes

Happy the Harmonica from the “Free” album.

Looks like you’ve selected my music for the day! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve only been to watch drag racing once, but there was a whole team of sisters (plus their dad) racing that day:

Edit: actually, it was the event mentioned above where Courtney Force won that I was at…

2 Likes

Thank you! Of course that track is getting linked here now.

1 Like

I had the privilege of watching Shirley race while growing up.

The amazing thing about her career was how much of it was achieved in “funny cars.”

The “rails” ( the long skinny cars with the massive engine in the back) get the glory, but the true test of a driver is the “funny car” – the drag racing cars that look like a “normal” car with a massive engine popping out of the hood. Funny cars are temperamental beasts. When shit goes south in a funny, it happens fast. In Shirley’s era, top rank funny car drivers came in two varieties: Good and Dead.

Shirley is an absolutely amazing drag racer. She also happens to be a woman.

2 Likes

“Downey is one of the truest badasses in motorsports history.”

=

Muldowney is one of the…”

1 Like

The Orange County International Raceway patch makes it double plus good!

I was thinking, “Would you mind handing me that microphone so I can shove it up your ass?”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.