Watch an 82-year-old woman absolutely flog a Porsche GT3 RS around a Monza track

Originally published at: Watch an 82-year-old woman absolutely flog a Porsche GT3 RS around a Monza track | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That spoiler probably costs more than my Toyota beater.

THIS is the car and the place where you need one, though. Whenever I see a cheap Civic or WRX with a spoiler like this in a strip-mall lot I just say “to each their own” and keep walking.

14 Likes

I’m still trying to shrug off yesterday’s 90 year old fitness maven and the guy with 39 wives and 94 children. I don’t need any more reminders of my failure to live life to its fullest.

12 Likes

Glad to see fun times. But maybe your metric is low. Great epiphany can be had elsewhere.

In Vancouver, plenty of gt3 gt4 bought by young rich twats. There’are a few polygamy cults. And near-everyone is a health nut ubermensch-wannabe.

Where are the philanthropists, heroes and exciting moments of meritoriousbehavior. Where are the accolades for true great feats?

3 Likes

“Shifting and Drifting”

3 Likes

I want to be like her when I grow up. Not that I ever will grow up, but dreams are free right?

2 Likes

The Woodward exit off the I-94 freeway in Detroit is a series of sharpish serpentine curves. Mom always called it The Mario Andretti Exit, and V much enjoyed taking it without braking at any point :smiley: One of the few times she ever seemed proud of me was when I could do the same.

She was an excellent driver with a lead foot, and I told her one of my fondest memories was when she was doing at least 75 mph on I-75 while blasting Billie Holiday.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I watched that whole thing expecting to see the green porsche on the Monza bank, but I was disappoint.

1 Like

Not taking anything away from her but it is impossible to tell how hard she was driving it from this promo video. Telemetry and a POV from the cockpit, or at the least a lap time, would provide the necessary info to determine if Mrs. Heiniger did indeed absolutely flog it. I want to know to see how badly she would embarrass me.

2 Likes

There’s an active “used” market, including many that have sub-1000 miles on them. The BB text is correct about the difficulty buying one from a dealer. With enough $$$ you could have one in a week or so, depending on what part of the continent you inhabit.

Here’s one on auction. It’s a 2019 currently at $201,000. It’ll go a LOT higher before close but could be yours in 3 days.

(Edited for errors)

1 Like

The bank is retired for decades now.

2 Likes

Does the spoiler make a bigger difference on a rear-engine vehicle? Is the point to reduce lift on the front of the car?

2 Likes

The rear engine is a really stupid concept that Porsche keeps because that is what the customers demand (*). The wing helps with the weight shifting as well as getting power on the road, but I guess the car is less nimble.

(*) Obviously a very unpopular opinion, but the company presented so much cars build on better concepts, both mid engined and transaxle that all fell flat with a large part of the customer base. They dreamed of a 911 when they were kids and they buy one, when they finally can afford it half a lifetime later.

6 Likes

The people have spoken and what they say they want is a sexy beetle.

6 Likes

That’s what this is for:

6 Likes

yes, and…?

I always thought they were used to increase traction between the rear wheels and the driving surface. I have no idea though since I’m not a car guy and rarely speed.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, which is why I thought it was weird to have a huge spoiler on a rear engine car where all the weight is in the back already.

2 Likes

Soylent Green is people!
Vadar is Luke’s father!
Verbal is Keyser Söze!
Kahn is not helpful!
Oh, wait. I forgot:

Spoiler alert.

3 Likes