Vintage video of an 8-track tape swap meet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/26/vintage-video-of-an-8-track-ta.html

2 Likes

I hated 8-tracks. Gave them away when I sold my deck. Went back to vinyl and recorded them to cassettes to play in the car. Then CDs which I still buy, because I’m old.

5 Likes

I bought a bunch of sealed 8-tracks at Goodwill several years ago, I am not going to mention the ridiculous sums of money I got for some of them on ebay.

The truth is, 8-tracks were lame, but once they were out of style if you owned a used car that already had an 8-track player it was fun to pick up old tapes for cheap-- ten for a dollar! And nobody would steal them out of your car, in fact if a thief saw 8-tracks on your seat or dash he wouldn’t even consider stealing your stereo.

3 Likes

I just bought a gorgeous am/fm stereo with 8-track last weekend. Such a strange medium.

4 Likes

Russ Forster! That guy’s a complete fucking freak! And when I say that, I genuinely mean it as the ultimate praise.

4 Likes

Fans of the endless loop cartridge met at Delilah’s in Chicago to trade tapes…

– You need Styx - Grand Illusion?

– No, got it.

– No, got it.

– No, got it.

[and repeat until closing time.]

10 Likes

I was waiting for Neil Young to show up and spoil the fun…

2 Likes

Hate to tell you, lady. Eric Estrada is never going to show up.

4 Likes

So much bangs !

(also his magazine looks cool)

3 Likes

It WAS cool! The whole clip reminds me of that happy era when 8-Track Mind, Thrift Score, Murder Can Be Fun, Mazl Tov Cocktail, & Mystery Date were all print zines that came in the mail.

6 Likes

8-Track Mind lasted 100 issues ! It’s quite something.

3 Likes

Did they ever solve the loud “KER-CHUNK” sound between track transitions. I was so happy when cassettes came out.

1 Like

Kenny’s Greatest Hits!

Back around 91-92, my then-soon-to-be wife and I took a trip from Iowa to LA with her grandparents. We were in their 1966 Pontiac Catalina, which had an 8-track player.

Their collection consisted of nearly all 1960s country, except for Kenny’s Greatest Hits.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.