"Vinyl outselling CDs" is the new "Voyager has left the solar system"

right… which is why i mentioned that above. Especially music that came out during the CD era and the packaging/booklets were designed specifically for that format. I have a couple Vinyl reissues of 90s albums that were too long for vinyl (because of the larger capacity of a CD) and those will have to be split onto 3 or 4 record sides. I find it a bit annoying to have to pull out a second disc in the middle of an album. ha. I bet in the not too distant future (if not already) people will fetishize some of those first edition special CD packaging releases the way they do vinyl now… Ive heard that people into 80s metal are really into cassettes for similar reasons. If that’s the first way you experienced it, you’ll have a fondness for that format…

3 Likes

My brother had an 8-track tape of The Who’s Quadrophenia. It was best for listening to the entire thing straight through but the clunk of each track change was a bit disruptive.

I own copies of Quadrophenia on both vinyl and CD (2 pieces of physical media for each). The size of the book included with the LPs is much more satisfying than the tiny copy included with the CD set.

2 Likes

There are instances where releases actually used the format in a novel way that doesn’t work if you put the same album on vinyl or rip the tracks to digital. Firstly I’m thinking of ‘hidden tracks’. While I know these were occasionally done on vinyl, the specific ways they were done on CD was unique to the format. The other feature you sometimes see on CD albums is ‘enhanced CDs’ whereby putting the CD into a computer would get you access to additional multimedia features. Arguably the multimedia stuff is all online these days, but it’s not the same as the CD experience.

1 Like

Like rootkits! Remember that?

4 Likes

I remember explaining to my mom how this sort of headline works.

It was the most evil example, had to go into the how’s and why’s and the de-bunking of “Whites will be a minority in the USA by xx year!!”.

That one has been recurring since the 1960’s at least.

2 Likes

See also: boxed sets.

Remember the long box? A friend had started covering one wall with his and I was like, “ah! I could’ve kept those!”

Our 8th-grader mostly listens via streaming, but for favorite artists/releases she’ll plunk down for the CD. (As often as not, these have to be found via eBay, even though none of them are more than a few years old.) Then she doesn’t open them - they go on a shelf for display. She’s more of a collector than I am! (I’ll almost always open & listen to what I buy)

The 12th-grader, meanwhile, listens to Siriusly Sinatra or 40s Junction…

1 Like

You bet! And I had a pretty good wall of my own going my freshman year at uni. Then they stopped making 'em because they figured out how to make anti-theft harnesses for CDs. :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh yeah there was an amazing one on They Might be Giants’ album Flood that I didn’t discover for a few years where you have to REWIND into negative numbers at the beginning of the first track to get it to play. Amazing that they figured out a way to do that!

3 Likes

Now that you mention the anti-theft harness, for a minute there they were putting cassettes in long boxes, too. I almost never bought cassettes - the guy at Record Gallery convinced me I was better off getting the vinyl, and then make new cassettes as needed. Also that a homemade cassette could sound a lot better than prerecorded (but then I quickly figured out this had to do with the quality of one’s cassette deck, whether one could set the level or instead it had the built-in compressor). Later on he was kind of glad to see CDs take off as it meant using less plastic than with LPs.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I was wondering a few things that this chart answers quite clearly.

That sounds absolutely perfect for the Velvets; in fact, “Split Jacket” and “Scuffed Vinyl” could be great track titles.

3 Likes

Or the Cub album that had 80 ‘hidden’ tracks of a rocking chair rocking (one squeak per track) just to mess with people who used ‘shuffle’

3 Likes

Yeah, but with that twenty-six dollars in my hand I can go to Lexington 1-2-5 for bigger kicks, you dig?

3 Likes

Then there’s the fun of LPs with interlaced tracks: not just one continuous groove on a record side, but two parallel grooves. Which one plays depends on where the needle first lands. Listeners could drive themselves nuts trying to replay that “missing” track that only came out the speakers 50% of the time.

From Why vinyl LPs are better than CDs and MP3s:

6 Likes

Shock! One obsolete distribution mechanism outsells another obsolete distribution mechanism.

1 Like
8 Likes

I had this record! :smiley: Loved those Mad flexis.

1 Like

I have one of those horse racing LPs that have 4-6 tracks per ‘race’ - so depending where you drop the needle, a different horse will win. Don’t play with your DJ friends.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read these articles - there was a whole slew of them right around the time this one was published. My experience with CDs has been different. I think these write-ups are overstating their case based on one or two (easily identifiable) bad batches of discs, or confusing burnable CD-Rs with commercially available music CDs. I’ve never once seen the fabled “CD rot” in the wild in a commercial CD. And it’s not through lack of trying: I’ve rigorously tested each and every one of my over-1000 CDs within the last few years by ripping them to play through my NAS-based RPi system, and none, even the oldest (35+ years), produced any significant errors. I was able to make bit-perfect copies from each one.

I dunno, maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I’m not seeing this as a real problem. :man_shrugging:

And in any case, vinyl is not immune to age-based degradation. Mold, dust, warping, scratches, wear, and surface noise are all unavoidable plagues for vinyl. But for some reason, dealing with these issues is usually seen as an acceptable cost of the hobby, while the essentially worry-free CD format has its occasional minimal problem blown out of proportion. I don’t get it.

3 Likes