Violent crime rate drops sharply

Originally published at: Violent crime rate drops sharply - Boing Boing

13 Likes

Well…the economy is also better and unemployment is low. Poverty and high unemployment often lead to a rise in crime, and their opposite often lead to lower crime. This really isn’t that complicated.

29 Likes

Alongside the fine addition of republicans everywhere decrying the dystopian collapse of every “urban” center.

(we had a 2022 senate contender in Washington state, Tiffany Smiley, who video’ed her campaign in a Seattle alleyway where her camera crew had upset some bins to set the stage for the black-and-white scenes of progressive city horror. They supposedly did clean up a bit after taking the video …that’s nice)

19 Likes

This is bad news for the GOP and the corporate media. Good.

As with Project 2025, it’s vitally important to increase knowledge and awareness of facts like this to everyone you know. It will absolutely make a difference in November.

25 Likes

It’s really incredible how little it really takes to lift a society from “dire straits” to “relatively stable”. My favorite talking point about what Biden has accomplished is the 50% reduction in childhood poverty due to the American Rescue Plan Child Tax Credit, which was at most $300 per month.

18 Likes

If Trump addresses it I guarantee he will say “crime rates are already dropping in anticipation of my next term! Criminals are running scared!”

10 Likes

What concerns me now are the number of people who’ve become so paranoid that they’re demanding action from officials to address non-existent crime. They are threatening violence against those they believe don’t care or won’t listen to them. In the worst cases they’re also encouraging vigilantism:

Getting them to accept the truth is more difficult now, since the press and GOP pols have been feeding them a daily diet of misinformation and rejection of reality as “fake news.”

14 Likes

“Why this is bad news for Biden”

(/s)

12 Likes

Ah, yes. Crime is down, so what we’re missing is more police. Gotta get those numbers back up :laughing:

5 Likes

So, living in Austin, where we’re regularly told how much more dangerous it is now, and how they’re shorthanded with police staffing.

What a drop!

4 Likes

I mean, this is good news but “things are going great so let’s commit to hiring more cops” is not my idea of moving things forward. What say you use the money earmarked for those 100,000 salaries to invest in strengthening communities and addressing socioeconomic disparities instead of funding more police gangs?

8 Likes

Yes, crime in the US peaked in 1990, 34 years ago, according to those bleeding heart liberals at the FBI. You’d never know that if you just watch right-wing propaganda news. The weird thing about the MCCA Violent Crime Stats is that it doesn’t mention NYC. Growing up in the burbs in the 60-70s & having lived in Fun City from 1984-2021 it was obvious that it was getting better (crime-wise, anyway) but I wonder why there are no stats on that?

3 Likes

And how DA José Garza is the cause of the low PD staffing and the terrible (non-existent) crime wave.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.