Virologist hunting mystery COVID strain in Ohio wastewater suspects one individual infected for 2+ years

Originally published at: Virologist hunting mystery COVID strain in Ohio wastewater suspects one individual infected for 2+ years | Boing Boing

4 Likes

If knowing the person’s identity is a public health emergency then CDC (government) would help the researcher out. But apparently, it’s not.

4 Likes

Ah, but Covid is over, and you can wear a mask, or not… y’know, whatever!
– CDC

/s and also /despair

11 Likes

COVID Mary?

4 Likes

So is this person probably asymptomatic, but they haven’t kicked the infection in 2 years? Or does this person know that they’re sick, and they’ve managed to conceal the infection for 24+ months?

8 Likes

It will be incredibly impressive if the virologist hunts this person down successfully but it would be bound to provide a whole new level of paranoia for privacy advocates once word gets out that individuals can be tracked down through their poop.

18 Likes

Especially when somebody buys one of those “anonymized” cell phone location datasets and uses it to narrow down the pool of candidates. Because 5G, man. And look who likes to pay for sewers:

It’s all connected!

(I should probably delete this before somebody takes it seriously…)

9 Likes

It’s hard to say. The person doing this research seems to speculate that the infected person is probably showing some signs of illness, but nobody really knows, and won’t know until/unless they locate the person and ask, I guess.

5 Likes

I could definitely see the individual refusing to come forward out of fear they’d become like a specimen in a sealed room at the CDC.

5 Likes
1 Like

He mentions in a later reply that “Approximately 1600 people commute between Columbus and WCH.” Cell phone location datasets wouldn’t really get him any closer than he already is.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.