Volunteer "stick library" is a hit with neighborhood dogs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/volunteer-stick-library-is.html

16 Likes

Truly a wonderful thing.

14 Likes

I agree with @Immutable_Mike; this is wonderful. I wonder how the dogs react to second hand mouth sticks?

5 Likes

I read it as “stick library is hit with neighborhood dogs” and thought, in former soviet union, stick is beaten by dog.

4 Likes

good boy

13 Likes

I read “stick library to hit neighborhood dogs with”, and having been harassed enough by people’s stupid pitbulls for the audacity of walking down the street, it did sound like a good idea.

This is also nice, though.

2 Likes

Let us all shed a tear for the hip and disruptive Sticks-as-a-Service startups being smothered in the cradle by the scourge of whimsical altruism.

/s hopefully obvious

7 Likes

Please, no! There’ll be sticks lying around abandoned on every street corner, and dogs chewing out the bluetooth chips so they could keep their preferred sticks by making them untrackable.

10 Likes

Great idea! I might just do this for the local doggo park.

3 Likes

Something extra for those who enjoyed this story as much as I did.

10 Likes

In my experience dogs like to choose their own sticks.

And there have been all kinds of warnings about splinters in throats.

Meanwhile, in America, people are getting lawyered up over little libraries…

5 Likes

The video at Something to chew on: New Zealand man sets up 'stick library' for dogs | New Zealand | The Guardian shows some pups choosing from the library.

That article mentions that the location is otherwise short of ‘good sticks’, so maybe there isn’t an alternative source.

At least at the outset, all sticks have had rough edges removed.

4 Likes

It is the running after the “short” throw and catching it as it bounces off the ground that exacerbates the problem.

Pretty sure stick that smells of dribble and whatever previous stick user rolled in/barfed up is Best Stick in dog world.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.